Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it best not to sow cabbage straight into the ground?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it best not to sow cabbage straight into the ground?

I've read in a few different places that cabbages are best sown in a seed bed then transplanted to their final destination but there's never any explanation of why this is so. I've sown some green cabbage seed straight into the grown in which they are going to stay until maturity - are these likely to do worse than they would have done had they been started off in a seed bed? I would have thought moving plants when they are just getting going i.e. from a seed bed to open ground would arrest their growth not promote it?

Not sure I can help but I do know brassicas like to be really firmed into their cropping home of somewhat compacted soil so perhaps the looseness of a seed bed is no good for them. My suggestion would be to dig them up on a cool day, tramp down the soil and replant them, firming in really well.

Hope this helps.

Tammy
    Tammy x x x x
    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

I did and it was fine, though I did still transplant then once they were a certain size.

Steven
      http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Thanks Tammy, the ground they are in (and will stay in) is pretty firm, I've already got purple sprouting broccoli and red cabbgaes that are doing well in the same ground. I just wondered if it's correct that they will not do as well being sown straight into the ground as they would have done had they been grown in a seed bed first?

Comment

Originally posted by nerobot View Post
          I did and it was fine, though I did still transplant then once they were a certain size.

Steven
          Thanks Steven, when did you start yours off? Mine were only started off a few wks ago and they are still only small plants about 3 inches tall although they look healthy enough. Do you think they have still got time to grow to maturity (I'm in North Yorks btw)?

Comment

Hil: Got a few different stages on the go. Some were planted in about March/April and are nearly ready (with one already harvested), and some were latter, and are about the size of yours. I think they should have plenty of time (I hope so for my own anyway).

Hope it goes well,

Steven
            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hil View Post
              I've read in a few different places that cabbages are best sown in a seed bed then transplanted to their final destination but there's never any explanation of why this is so. I've sown some green cabbage seed straight into the grown in which they are going to stay until maturity - are these likely to do worse than they would have done had they been started off in a seed bed? I would have thought moving plants when they are just getting going i.e. from a seed bed to open ground would arrest their growth not promote it?
              Your wish is my command HIL!

I knew I had the answer somewhere curtesy of the gardenaction website. This is for brussel sprouts but the same applies to all brassicas!

How To Sow and Plant Brussels Sprouts
              Brussels Sprout seed should be sown in mid-April in a seed bed outside or containers filled with potting compost. The plants produce a better root system and crop when they are planted in one place and transplanted to their final position a month or so later. The diagram shows a seedling which has not been transplanted (the left one) and a seedling which has been transplanted (the right one) with a better-developed root system.
              They should be sown 1cm (half inch) deep and well-watered. Sow thinly, because crowded seedlings result in weak plants later on. The seedlings should initially be grown at least 10 cm (4ins) apart. Germination should occur in about 10 days time, maybe a little longer in cold weather. If you do not use all the seed, keep it in a cool, dark place because it will keep for at least three years.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I suppose that sowing in a seed bed and then transplanting is a bit like pruning. The more you prune the stronger the plant. I find the same thing with leeks, when I plant them out I trim the roots and top and then get a really good strong growth.

Ian

Comment

Although the ideal is to start in a seedbed or in plugs then transplant, it is not always possible or feasible. The plants will grow from seed without too much bother - though the thinning out to reach correct spacing etc may be a pain in the a**e.
                  I have planted out approximately 7500 brassicas grown from seed in plugs and by and large have got really healthy plants (even the rows decimated by the pigeons are now cropping though not as big as those left alone)
                  I will be in a better position to tell you in September as I am direct sowing spring greens in August (10,000).
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X