Favourite Spud

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Spud

If you could only grow one varitety of Potato what would it be and why?

I would grow Epicure because it is an excellent early and can also be used as a second early for baking and makes excellent mash!!!
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

I like the taste of Estima. I'm going to grow tons of them next year if I can.

Comment

dunno, i think my taste buds are crap, cos one spud tastes like any other to me but then i haven't grown any yet ... and the ones i am growing are random spuds from the corner shop lol ..... and even when i go to asda, i just get big bags of the cheapest.
      Last edited by lynda66; 14-07-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

It's gotta be "Nicola" or "Charlotte" for me.

Proper waxy yellow new potatoes.
        Please have a look at my Veg Growing Diary.

allotment-diary.co.uk

Thanks.

Comment

To choose just one is impossible - different tatties for different cooking methods and all that, but I could narrow it down to the following 3 varieties - Lady Christl, Edzell Blue and Rooster.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

dunno either, being a total amateur at this potato growing lark.

My first up have been Ulster Septre which tasted like...potatoes. The Vivaldi being dug up now is very productive but again a potato is a potato.

BUT - the Anja my son planted in big plastic barrel have been productive and very very tastey. Note to Gordon, the Anja we planted were the leftovers from a BOGOF offer at Sainsbury's....

Being impatient, I dug up a Mayon Gold (early maincrop) this evening. There were 23 tubors, smaller than they should be (more time required) but the Dutch chips (23) were to die for

The main crop is something called Druid - I ordered Sarpo Axona but Thompsons had run out, everybody wanted the most blight resistant after last year. They assure me that Druid is just as good - better be, I've got 60 plants

Comment

I'm with you, Cloud, as my favourite is also Epicure, but I also always grow Pink Fir Apple as an ideal salad potato.

Comment

Mine would be "Mashed" with onion!!

Comment

I like Winston but agree with Sewer Rat, there are different spuds for different jobs. Edzell blue are delish steamed and served with butter and we shared the first Golden Wonder last night which brought back childhood memories

The Vales Emerald are pretty tasty for a first early too
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Simply either Rooster or Romano, lovely
                    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                    Bob Dylan

Comment

we love pentland javelin...lovely buttery new pot taste

Comment

For me it has to be Duke of York earlies. Superb

Comment

i'm definitely going to have to branch out from eating random no named potatoes lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X