No announcement yet.

Ripening toms??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry gemlady-mine are still tiny; most of my plants have only just started on tomato production.
    They'll ripen eventually for sure- I had a few small green toms from last year's tom plants in my conservatory all winter, and over five monthts or so from October to spring they ripened (a bit tough by then though!)

Comment

I accidentally cut a truss off one of my marmandes yesterday - couldn't see what I was doing for the leaves. Ooops. Still IO have about 12 plants so should still have enough for making chutneys. I got loads of green getting bigger on the marmandes and sub-arctics but no signs of any red ones yet. Some plants are getting so big I have had to tie them to the greenhouse!

janeyo

Comment

The ripe banana trick does work if you hang it near your tomatoes - I've got one hanging between an F1 Bambino, and a sans Marzano because they were taking a LONG time ot ripen - I've had very early toms this year. It takes a couple of days to work, ut does make a difference.

Also, if you have some ripe tomatoes, leave them on the vine for a while as they give off the same "ripening fumes" as the bananas!

Hope this helps,

Jennifer
        Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

thanks for all the helpful advice, i have got some beef toms in an old upturned wardrobe (dont ask) and they have been green for weeks, will try the banana trick if i get no joy in the next few weeks.
          I am quickly learning that i am the worlds most impatient gardener :-)

Comment

I'll take bets on that!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Toms???

My flowers aren't set yet.

Just come back from the plots and the bees are just starting to go from flower to flower
              I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Hi
                You know when I first saw this thread, I had the same question.
                My tomatoes where there in abundance, and growing really well, but oh so green and there's been precious little sun around lately.
                My neighbour (a veteran vegetable grower of over 60 years) said not to worry they don't need the sun to go red, they GROW ripe.
                And.... hey presto!
                Today, one of them has a slight orange blush!!
                Yippee, seeing is believing.

Anni

Comment

I rarely get a ripe tomato before Mid-July - and that's with a greenhouse. I've had one (well, half, I shared it!) sungold so far - and 2 more are ready. By August we'll have plenty.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X