No announcement yet.

What is the correct way to dry garlic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's "scapes"? Never heard of this term before - but I'm a real novice!!
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
      What's "scapes"? Never heard of this term before - but I'm a real novice!!
      It's like when a prisoner gets out of jail - they've 'scaped.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Scrape's are the stalk with the flower bud on that grow's out of top of the garlic plant not all varietys flower you break them of just before they open into flower and some where on here is the way to cook them jacob marley
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Scapes are leafless flower stalks and should be removed as soon as the seed head is visible.

Scapes are produced by hard necked garlic varieties but also leek, shallot, onion, chives, tulips, daylily, flowering alliums, etc

Comment

Marigold - Planted mine in spring (around the same time as yours), and they look like they will need another month or so. So yours might just need more time too.

Steven
            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

can i resurrect this thread?

i planted my garlic - around 50 i think but can't quite recall now!! - in Spring all over the place in different sized containers.
              some have got huge and I have already harvested the scapes on them, some are medium and a number are very small and falling over and about a third brown leaves

my son's enthusiasm for all things growing meant we harvested some of the smaller ones to see what was going on
              as mentioned above they are pretty weeny, all smaller than the organic bulbs you get in the grocery stores but still recognisable as garlic.

1. is it worth me leaving these in longer (i'm thinking i freed up some space to enlarge for the remainders lifting this bunch of blighters anyhow)
              2. can i hang these wee ones up in my little greenhouse to dry even though they are hardneck
              3. how long does it take to get to the papery skin stage, i.e. how long is a piece of string
              4. what can be done with 'green' garlic

so many questions!!!!
              Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
              Independent Minds

Comment

Looking at the photo of flapjacks garlic I think you have pulled far to early as there was an awful lot of green looking tops on your garlic. The tops should be brown and withered looking before lifting, then if the weather is dry lift from the soil and leave in the sun for a few days by which time the outer leaves should be thin and papery. They can then be strung up and stored. I am holding off for at least a couple of weeks and some may well be longer.

Ian

Comment

roasted some green garlic with our edzell blue tatties

luvverly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
                  Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X