No announcement yet.

Disappointing Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine isn't lookin too fantastic either They've all got really thick necks, but when you rootle under the soil, the bulbs are only slightly thicker than the necks. They're not ready to come up yet though (leaves still green), so I've fed them & crossed me fingers!

Comment

Had planted Solent wight and lautrec wight last autumn and have dug up a few over the past few weeks. Can't say I've been too impressed but they are definitely getting bigger over the weeks so I think I need to leave them in for as long as possible even though many of them are turning yellow. Also cut off the rocamboles last week and read that that will plump up the bulbs afterwards. May try a few different varieties next year, the rocamboles tatsed quite good and if you go to the garlic farm (a few miles down the road) there's loads of different varieties to see. Defintely worth a visit if you're ever on the south Island.
      Last edited by DavidJP; 27-06-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

haven't tried garlic yet - sorry
        Stacey x ♫

Comment

some of mine (cristo) are also pants, they fell over - so I did a HFW and roasted them as wet/green and they were yumious but that was it - wham, bam all over in two minutes
          Last edited by piskieinboots; 27-06-2008, 08:45 PM.
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

solent wight mine the size of marbles.put some shop bought in a pot 2 months ago for a experiment and will put some more in in autumn as well
            joanne geldard

Comment

I planted marco last year in pots around october and overwintered at home outside, planted them at the lotty in march, just harvested as the foliage has started to die. I am happy with them as the cloves are the size of apples and are presently in the polytunnel drying. Tried one at home as wet garlic it was delicious... I am welll happy except I plan next year to grow at least twice as much as we use loads.

Comment

Me too!

I'm not alone then in the carp garlic harvest. Why are they so pathetic this year then? It's the first time I have really grown garlic and I thought it was supposed to be easy to grow!!

Comment

I decided to pull up all of my winter garlic last week, they were mostly browning and falling. Unfortunatley just the one was pretty big, 60% had rot, the others were medium sized. Spanish Roja seems to have survived the rot and were medium sized. Solent Wight and others didn't do well.

Comment

Mine all died, and all i ended up with just some pots of compost....gutted!
                    Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

hi all i plantes solent white and elephant garlic in november, but i planted them on a mound to help with drainage things looking good still growing,fingers crossed will dog one of each up tom.

Comment

I pulled the three varieties of garlic sowed in November today - most of them absolutely useless, but as the plants had developed rust and were toppled over I felt it was right to pull them. This is the second year my garlic has been crap - such a disappointment after the fantastic crop I got in the first year I grew it.

Tricia

Comment

Hi pumpkinhead here read about your garlic problems , never used shop bought only got off farmers market with results slightly bigger than golf balls with stronge sweet tasting cloves,and three fist size bulbs for a pound great value for money.

Comment

Harvested my solent wight garlic a couple of days ago. It was planted in November. I am pleased as there are a lot of pretty big heads - I shall have a job using it all up. I also appear to have rust but it does not seem to have damaged the garlic. On the other hand the three spuds I grew in tubs (one each of Orla, Charlotte and Red Duke of York) were pathetic - enough for a meal for two. Hope the ones on the lottie do better.

Comment

My garlic has been in the ground since November - the leaves have died off but two I pulled up to check are tiny; It's so discouraging - I never had problems with garlic before.
                              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Autumn sown garlic was reasonable and produced bulbs about golf ball size which is the size I usually get. How do you get one apple sized. The cristo which was spring planted still looks to be growing, although it looks more orange than green with the amount of rust it has on it. Size of the bulbs looks promising.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X