Onions!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions!

Hello, i have a silly question! as i'm still new to veg growing can anyone please let me know if onions grown from sets need to be dried out for a period of time before being used as is with seed grown onions as nowhere in any book i have says this and on the onion set packet i bought it just read "harvest after 4 months" Many thanks in advance - nelvis.

Hi Nelvis,

I always lift mine & dry them out before storing them, it helps to keep them as the bulbs rippen off. I usually spread them out on the greenhous staging with the laeves poke thru the slats so the sun can get to the whole bulb
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Hi Nelvis. As Nick says they do need drying out before storing but if you fancy some lovely home grown onion on your cheese sandwiche before they are ready, there is nothing to stop you digging one up and eating it fresh!
      [

Comment

Hi, Many thanks nick the grief and lesley jay for your replies to my question. My wife and i both had a rather splendid cheese and freeeeeeeeesh onion sarnie earlier today, Many thanks again!!

Comment

I'm glad you both had it Nelvis other wise one of you would be suffering They doo taste good though don't they. I think i've got through aabout 6 onions this week on sarnies, I'm supposed to be storing them
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
            I think i've got through aabout 6 onions this week on sarnies
            Nick, I'm glad I don't live in your house
            Last edited by Shortie; 14-07-2006, 11:20 PM.
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

My onions have kealed over but the tops are still green. When should I pull them?

Comment

Toffeeman, when did you plaqnt them.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Toffeeman, if they have keeled over they are pretty much done. You can gently lift them with a fork to break of the roots and let them dry out in the sun or do as some do and lay them on wire mesh so air circulates better to dry them thouroughly.

I hang mine in my workshop if rain threatens and when they are dry I cut the foliage and excess roots off and store them in net bags as I grow too many to plait nicely.

Enjoy.

Comment

how long will the last in net bags? and where do you get the net bags from? Should they be kept in the fridge?

Comment

Seem to recall that I bought net bag either from the local feed store or diy shop! As long as they are properly dry they will keep right through winter and almost until you are ready to pull next years crop! Kept mine in a cool place not the fridge.
                      Last edited by Squirrel; 20-07-2006, 11:22 AM.

Comment

wont they start to sprout if left? Like the ones from the s.market?

Comment

WiZeR, I think the ones from the supermarket sprout because they've already been in cold store for a while before they reach you & are ready to start growing again whereas the ones you are just lifting are preparing to go dormant for the Autumn. I've kept homegrown onions & shallots hung up in the kitchen for months without them going off or sprouting, you're supposed to keep them somewhere cool but it's not too hot in there in the winter as I don't often put the heating on.
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA
                            .....but it's not too hot in there in the winter as I don't often put the heating on.
                            cheapskate!
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Dead right SBP, I'm only usually in there if I'm cooking & then just get all hot & bothered if the heating's on. If I'm cold OH just says - 'put a jumper on' !
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X