No announcement yet.

Slugs can swim! Even in salt water!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reminds me of Baldricks Charlie Chaplin impression (blackadder goes fourth), wine gum darling?
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I collect mine in a little bucket then pour boiling water on them. 100% success rate.
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Ahh yes the slug hunt. My wife thinks mad when i go out late at night with a torch and my trusty brick. I too have had feelings of guilt when killing the infernal slugs BUT i feel much better if it's quick. Stick them under a brick and drop it, squish......no more slug. I would use a beer trap but it never seems to last long enough at home......

Interestingly i've got a book by Geoff Hamiliton and he indicated that slugs could swim, just not in paraffin!
        www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
        www.outofthecool.com
        http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

I drink the beer and give the slugs the salt. Of course you could try a twist on a marguerita!!! Any way if you don't want the slugs to swim don't put arm bands on them!!!!!

Comment

If it makes you feel a bit happier about things then why not put them in a sealed pot ( ice cream tub or similar ) and take them down to the local duck pond the next day. The Ducks will be chuffed to bits with them .

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT USED ANY CHEMICALS THOUGH. NO SLUG PELLETS OR POISON OF ANY SORTS PLEASE.

Wren

Comment

I HATE SLUGS & SNAILS

Just been on the hunt again and cut them up up up!!!!! i am like a killing machine at 10.30pm each eve!!!!!!! they are awful things!!!!!

My lovely lettuces are almost destroyed by them, but they havent touched the little gem ones so, i am leaving them there so they eat the rubbish and leave my gems alone!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                Reminds me of a film I once saw...

YouTube - Slugs: The Movie (trailer)
                That's revolting!!!!
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                  I can't cut them in half! I'd rather pick them up with my bare hands. I've tried cutting them and it's (1) harder than it sounds and (2) really horrible!
                  Yeah they squirt all green and yucky out, a good sharp scissors helps, my OH's sewing scissors does just the job.

Originally posted by Hellbell View Post
                  I hope that slugs don't grow another half like worms are supposed to when they're chopped in half. Perhaps that's why we have so many slugs in this country as everyone who cuts them in half doubles the population! lol
                  When they are cut I promise you there is no way there will be two of them, Unless they have very good slug surgeons in their ranks!!
                  Last edited by Mikey; 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                    Yeah they squirt all green and yucky out, a good sharp scissors helps, my OH's sewing scissors does just the job.
                    I'm blatantly not going to let my sewing scissors anywhere NEAR a slug!
                    I was thinking of using a hatpin to spear them though, that'll slow them down a bit lol.
                    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

coffee grounds work - so does spraying them with caffeine solution.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X