Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do courgette plants grow roots...

Hi

Can someone tell me if courgettes plants grow roots from their main stems?

I have some very leggy courgette plants that I was thinking of potting up to their seed leaves so that they are more stable.

Thank you
    CADS

Yes, replant them up to their seed leaves.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks. Off to do that now.

Comment

Yes, you can do this with any type of squash, also tomatoes. Even with brassicas, it's always to plant or pot on with the seed leaves level with the soil.

Comment

Mmmmm ! Tomatoes , brassicas and much more I would plant to their necks - but curcubits ! In my experience they get neck rot and I'm always careful with cucumber, squash and courgettes to make sure they are not replanted deeper than they were . In fact I leave them a little proud when planting on.
          Interesting to see what others think.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Yes Alice, I agree with you.

Comment

I wonder if CADS is just potting them on???
              I think they'd be less likely to rot in that case.
              We plant out our courgettes on mounds to prevent rotting of the stems, but whilst still in pots it's easier to control the watering and environment.

We have 4 leggy courgette in pots and they're too small to plant out yet ( and in my mind it's too early for our frost-pocket of a lottie).

Have to admit I'm not sure whether to pot them on deeper or not.......
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Funny I was thinking about this last night. Sometimes the more you know and think about something, the more complicated it gets. I can't remember what I've done with cucumbers etc in the past, I've just planted them, but yesterday I had to earth up 2 squash I had just put out the day before, due to the high wind rocking them about.
                Just after that, I read that you should plant to the same height as previously planted......... yet the plants were dying with the wind.....
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The courgettes are going live in containers for the duration of their lives and yesterday I was potting them up from a 3" pot to 5" pots. I will make sure I don't plant them any deeper when they go into their final pots.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    We plant out our courgettes on mounds to prevent rotting of the stems, but whilst still in pots it's easier to control the watering and environment.
                    Funny, I always plant my courgettes in dips so that when I water the water is directed directly to the plant roots. Read that it was a good thing to do years ago and it's always worked well for me. Not had any problems with them rotting but have experienced stem rot on cucumbers far too many times for my liking

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

When planting courgettes I always insert at different angles lots of short ( 12" ) bits of old broken canes between the stems. This seems to give them some stability in windy conditions. Also I prefer the gold ones, they seem to have firmer flesh. Finally mine always seem to crop madly and then either get some form of rust or just stop cropping. So I try and sow them at succestional intervals.
                      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X