Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    pinto beans - Google Image Search

There are other shelly beans available, not called 'pinto', but some have different markings. A very popular speckled variety are 'borlotti' beans, but these are a climber and can get a good 6 feet tall.

You can get a dwarf borlotti - I had that last year. Dwarf in the garden - tall climbing at the lottie!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      You can get a dwarf borlotti - I had that last year. Dwarf in the garden - tall climbing at the lottie!
      I've got them...pic attached. I've had to chop them off at the top of the cane as they didn't seem to know they were dwarf!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by zazen999; 25-03-2009, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Mr Sheds is a bit funny about beans, but he really likes Yin Yang (he says it's similar to a Black Eyed Pea in taste and texture).
        It gets about 5 foot tall (then I stop it, cos I am 5 foot tall).

Remember that dwarf beans are going to be in reach of the slugs ...
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I've still got a few borlottis from last year, but I'm growing a couple of wigwams of heritage Bird's Egg. They were nicer in my opinion. I've also got some True Red Cranberry pole beans - like little maroon versions of the longer red kidney bean.
          Those sound lovely! If I had a bigger allotment I would grow loads of French beans; this year it's just four varieties (Borlotti Lingua di Fuoco, Neckar Gold, Cherokee Trail of Tears and Dinah's Climbing Blue - all different colours so I can tell them apart!). Pity that chickpeas don't crop well in this country - I love hummus and Delia's Moroccan baked chicken with chickpeas.

Two_Sheds, the crimson broadies you sent me are coming up lovely and strong - can't wait to see them in flower!

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eas_28926.html

This is how I am growing my peas and beans, so that I only lose the foot wide space on each bed. This means you can grow more!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              I've got them...pic attached. I've had to chop them off at the top of the cane as they didn't seem to know they were dwarf!
              Ha ha, your kitchen looks exactly like mine - can't move for the seedlings everywhere! OH despairs of it, but he's looking forward to eating all the fresh veg so doesn't complain too much.

Comment

My grandad used to grow them outside, he said they dont enjoy cool wet soil. I am going to attempt to sow some this weekend.
                Last edited by greasyfire; 23-04-2010, 08:46 PM.
                Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X