Ants on runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Fly

Rhubarb contains oxalic acid. The leaves have a greater concentration. It is the oxalic acid that makes them poisonous. A useful insecticide can be made from the leaves of Rhubarb.

Take some leaves and cut them into strips, place them in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes. Once cooled strain and add a little liquid detergent. The soap acts as a surfactant and helps the liquid stick to the leaves of what you will be spraying. The resulting brew makes a good spray to use against aphids.

One word of warning though. It does not smell very nice when it is being made so open the kitcen windows and close the kitchen door.

Hope this is of some use, it works for me. I use it on the veg patch and in the rest of the garden. Pity about the smell but it's only during the making of it. Once cooled it is not too bad.
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
      put some semolina were they are,the workers take it back to the nest,feed the queen,she cannot digest it,and bingo,bang she goes,so no more workers,and it works,type ANTS in the search,at the top right of page and see more ideas.
      Wow - thanks!
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

This may be just me, but whenever I have a blackfly/greenfly problem, I get rid of the ants and the problem goes away. I used to get a really bad problem with blackfly on my cherry tree, which is huge. All the leaves went black and sticky and curled up but the tree was too tall for me to get to them all. Now every year I put ant powder down and I don't get the problem.
        Jools

Comment

I've been spraying garlicky soapy water on the broad beans every day since Sunday and they look loads better than before - far fewer aphids and I only saw a couple of ants on them - it's taken a few goes, but it's obviously working!

But loads of ants elsewhere ... Put some semolina down today everywhere we saw ants - hope that will work. One question though - these exploding queens - from how far away can you hear the bang?
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
            I've been spraying garlicky soapy water on the broad beans every day since Sunday and they look loads better than before - far fewer aphids and I only saw a couple of ants on them - it's taken a few goes, but it's obviously working!

But loads of ants elsewhere ... Put some semolina down today everywhere we saw ants - hope that will work. One question though - these exploding queens - from how far away can you hear the bang?
            if every one is using semolina,FEEL THE EARTH MOVE
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

runner beans

Originally posted by pmc View Post
              I`ve got ants on my runner beans. Do they do any damage? Also some clusters of black things on the underside of some leaves - any ideas?
              the ants are there cus the black things r called afids"blackfly"

Comment

the blackfly "afids" suck all the goodness from the plant

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X