No announcement yet.

Do slugs like lager?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used yeast and sugar mixes and also marmite- teaspoonful to a half pint water. Works a treat.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I'm going to try the garlic water method (The hosta woman on GW reccommended it). My snails aren't going for the yeast and sugar stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TracyP View Post
        I think it's the yeast they like. I have read you can also mix yeast and water. So I think lager is fine as it is yeasty isn't it?
        a lot of the big supermarkets give you some fresh yeast,if you ask at the bakery,cheaper than the cheapest beer or larger,and can be made quite potent,if less water added,worth a try,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

PLEASE put twigs in your beer traps so that beneficial insects inc. bees can climb back out (the slugs will be too drunk to be able to climb up the twig)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

sum slugs are bypassing the trap and still munching on a leaf or two of my courgettes i think the trays i am using are to shallow will replace will deeper ones
            joanne geldard

Comment

After trying out my slug traps with OH best peroni lager i can confirm that they love it OH were none too happy about sharing with the slugs though.

They will settle quite happily with Morrison's own brand 2% lager too. Its a bargain at 89 pence for 4 cans of it, an i think tesco do a value line lager for same price.

I am thrilled to bits with my slug traps but i would recommend that you check underneath them each time you visit them. I found a couple of the cheeky beggars hanging out under them in the day time....grrrr

After the first few days of catching loads o them ( were like slug soup) we dont get many now or hardly any plant damage.

Know it's gros but i throw the slug soup mix of lager an dead slugs on the compost heap. I figure what goes around comes around an all
              Wren
              Last edited by Wren; 17-05-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

My dad used to use slops from the pub in a basin to great sucess. He used to work in a pub but Im sure your friendly local would be glad to keep a bucket of their slops for you to use in your snail traps. I haven't tried it yet (hubby going slug hunting nightly, armed with salt) but I will be trying this free and friendly method as the salt effect seems so cruel.
                Suzie Spud

Comment

Haven't done anything about slugs, time to deprive Hubby of his beloved lager I think!!! Will get some value stuff next time I am in tesco
                  http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X