Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drainage Holes in Grow Bags?

Hi
    Do I make drainage holes in growbags? I have planted a tomato seedling in a half bag, turned on its side, and I have lots more home grown tomato seedlings to be planted in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to make holes?
    Thanks
    Last edited by TracyP; 14-05-2008, 09:37 PM.

Yes, you do need drainage. It usually tells you on the growbag to make slits in the side of the bag so you get a smallish reservoir of water in the bottom, but excess water can drain out if you overwater. However, you say you have modified your growbag - you've cut it in half and turned it on it's side - not quite sure what you mean - any piccies? They usually recommend planting 3 tomato plants per Growbag laid flat, and I've never found any reason to alter this. I have used Growbag compost in large (10") pots for individual tomato plants.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I cut bag in half, so that each half stands up tall like a pot (got -the tip on here. I don't have a pic sorry - fairly useless in that department. ) I did use growbags lying flat last year but found they were difficult to move and took up a lot of room, which is a problem with the number I am intending to grow this year!!. I'm also going to try planting in pots but wanted to try the half growbag method too to see how it goes. Thanks very much for your help

Comment

You ALWAYS need drainage holes when growing plants. Otherwise the roots will drown
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X