No announcement yet.

1st proper tomato

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't understand a word you said there!! Sorry...can you please explain?

:-(

Comment

syanide Hi!

My dearest grandad used to take me into his greenhouse every Sunday, and we would gently grasp the stem of the tomato plants and SHAKE the plant, to distribute the flower pollen a little.

I do that myself now, for absolutely I have no idea why?

Comment

to aid the pollenation process. While a tomato is self pollenating, what that means is that it's all done from within the same flower (male and female jobs). Read the article in my previous post as it's very enlightening!!!

syanide

Comment

Hi Syanide - Sorry to confuse you with my bagging comment in my earlier posting. I grow numerous varieties of tomatoes in close proximity to each other and so I know the tomatoes I want to save seed from stay pure, I bag the flower trusses prior to the flowers opening. Once the bag goes on, I mark the flower truss with a ribbon so I know which tomatoes to save for seed. Here is a photo of a truss with a bag on it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mcsee; 12-05-2008, 12:54 AM. Reason: add words
          I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

I have got few baby tomatoes last week, and still am excited. Was trying to drag the OH in the room used as conservatory to show my first ever tomato, to which I got reply of "you tell me about that tomato, when it's grown and you've got cheddar sandwich ready", :-)

Comment

Ok, it's beginning to take shape...I hope. Some of the flowers on the gardeners delight have disappeared and I can see a tiny green ball where the flower used to be....the only worrying thing is, it resembles the picture in Hessayon's 'Veg and Herb Expert' book as a "Dry Set"...

Am I being paranoid? I know there's nothing i can do for these flowers, but I can try and make sure the next lot are ok...

On the other hand, I appreciate that the tomatoes have to start at some point, so there is always going to be a period when they are this size.

hat being said, how long should i wait to see them take a more recognisable shape? Is it days or weeks? I'm referring to Gardeners Delight (but I also have Sun Baby and Money Maker).

Cheers.

syanide

Comment

you need to feed once a week with tomatoe feed, it should take a few weeks for them to swell and turn red x
                joanne geldard

Comment

Cheers, I will be more patient!

thanks

syanide

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X