Oh No Another Tomato Question!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh No Another Tomato Question!!

If I pinch out my toms to "stop" them (about four or five feet high) will it stop production of more flowers/fruit?
    My Bambino toms have reached the top of my greenhouse side wall, with two flower trusses on each. Should I allow them to grow up the roof (if I can) or pinch them out and stop them? The plants are growing really well and the flower trusses are abot 15 inches (35cm for metric readers) apart.

Hi Little Dig, you should be able to get at least 5 trusses from a healthy tomato plant. If you pinch out the top now you will get no more fruit. If it were my plant i would let it grow on.
    Good Luck what ever you decide.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bramble, thats kind of what I thought, I guess I'll just have find a way to support the plant up the inside of the roof.

Comment

Are they in the border of your greenhouse Little dig? If so why not just buy some longer canes or thin wood & jam it in the border & the apex of the greenhouse & then tie it onto thisafter it gets past the existing canes.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Good idea NTG however, my greenhouse is on the patio owing to a severe slope in the garden, so grow bags only. Seem to be doing OK though, never seen tomatoes grow this well, but only had a polythene greenhouse last year.
          Might try string from the ridge or something similar.

Comment

Pinching out. I am finding it really difficult to work out which is the main stem on some of my toms. I pinched out something tonight and think it was the start of a truss Is it me or is it difficult?

I grew Sungold last year and found these were quite easy to pinch out, but this year I have Garden Delight grown from seed (at the moment not too difficult to see main stem) and another variety from the Garden Centre (name of which escape me at the moment), quite vigorous, and really difficult to see which is the main stem.

Any tips?
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Stick to Gardeners delight They may be a bush variety JA & don't need pinching out.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X