planting wee leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planting wee leeks

hello all, Ive been given a small tray of leeks, 9 wee modules with 3 leeks in each. They look very healthy but very small. How should these be planted? Is it ok to plant 3 together or should they be separated? The type of leek is unknown. they are, perhaps 3ins.tall and thin thin thin. Any advise appreciated. Murray

Hi
    I think you transplant them when they are pencil thickness.
    When planting make a fairly deep hole,trim the roots and tops a bit, drop in the leek and fill the hole with water, dont backfill the hole with soil
    I think this is right, someone else will be along soon to confirm.
    Hope it helps
    Debbie
    www.johndebs.piczo.com

Comment

Spot on debjay!

Except ....I plant mine out when they are half that thickness and leave the tops and roots alone( I sow late)
      ....and my neighbour plants hers in groups of 3 or 4 ( she's seen it done on the telly) and they grow fine for her that way.

'dibbed' holes - made with a piece of wood like the end of a broom handle - about 4" deep with a good splodge of water over the seedling is indeed they way` ( my holes slowly fill in over the summer though)
      Last edited by Nicos; 01-05-2008, 06:33 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would let them grow a bit first as well. Otherwise as above, make hole 6-12 inches apart, drop in and water.
        A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
        There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Mine look like chives at the moment. I take it they 'thicken' up before you plant them out?

Comment

Leave them in the modules for now. You could thin to one per module if you wish, but don't plant out on the lottie til they are a lot taller and thicker (around June time). You will need to feed them while they are still in the modules (use a liquid feed)

Comment

If you seperate the leeks when planting do as advised above. If you would rather plant them in two's or threes (which is another standard paractice btw) just grow them on a bit and plant the module grown plants with a trowel as usual. You can plant them so that the 'button' which is where the leek flag (leaf) joins the stem is at soil level!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ok, will sit back and wait for the 'chives' to turn into 'leeks'.

Comment

once the leeks have been put in the hole , do you just keep watering the hole ???? and how often?
                  http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
                    once the leeks have been put in the hole , do you just keep watering the hole ???? and how often?
                    Well I don't!!
                    When you water initially you wash in some of the soil to cover the roots.
                    The soil 4" down will be nice and damp and the plants will push out roots sideways as well as down.
                    They should be fine!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

How do leeks like being moved??

I've got a tray of leeks also, at "chive" stage... obviously not big enough to plant outside, but they're looking a bit crowded.

Was thinking of "potting on" to a larger, deeper tray before planting outside. Can I do this?

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                        How do leeks like being moved??

I've got a tray of leeks also, at "chive" stage... obviously not big enough to plant outside, but they're looking a bit crowded.

Was thinking of "potting on" to a larger, deeper tray before planting outside. Can I do this?
                        I'm growing my own leeks from seed this year, but last year I bought a punnet of leeks from a GC and split them in half, planting each half in an 8 inch pot. They grew on in the pot until I was ready to plant them after my spuds came out.
                        I'm still eating those leeks now, in fact I've just 'healed in' a whole bed of them to make way for some brassicas, so I can vouch for this method!
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          I've just 'healed in' a whole bed of them
                          Sorry to ask a stupid question - what does "healed in" mean??
                          I tried goggling but just got lots of websites about healing in Leek (and suchlike)
                          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                            Sorry to ask a stupid question - what does "healed in" mean??
                            I tried goggling but just got lots of websites about healing in Leek (and suchlike)
                            Spelling error on my behalf......it should have been 'heeled in' methinkls!

Basically at this time of year space is needed on the plot so leeks can be lifted, a hole dug. leeks put into hole together and soil placed around them. This soil is then 'heeled in' with the heel of the boot to secure them. The idea is that the leeks will still keep ticking over in growth and can be lifted as you need them and it should stop them sending up seed heads.
                            It allows you to free an area that can be planted with something else!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that explanation, I thought it might be something like that but you know what they say about assumptions!!
                              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X