No announcement yet.

Effin Parsnips!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On kitchen paper in G/house, 2 seeds to loo roll when white "tail" showing, harden off when 3" tall, plant out in roll. This year %100 germination, 1st year I tried this method! For the last 20 years I`ve had less than 20% germination rate by sowing direct.
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Hey Grovsey, there's no 'F' in Parsnips, or is that the problem
      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

brooklynodog - I am pleased that your germination rate has improved but concerned that you left the seedlings in the loo rolls until they were 3 inches tall. It is vital to get the seedlings into their final growing position before the tap root reaches the bottom of the tube - did you check this?

Comment

Must be soil conditions or strength of mind! I love parsnips and mine germinate and grow in the soil and I always have good crops.
          I once tried growing them in lav.roll innards and they grew all spindly and whiskery. I have clay soil which may help.

Comment

I have found that they germinate better when the weather warms up a bit , so I won't be sowing outside for another 3 weeks , and then when I do , cover them with fleece to help keep them moist and warmer at night.
            My germination rates have vastly improved doing this.
            Also sow in 3's and transplant to fill any gaps.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

i tried to do them this year and failed so gave in .....
              http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
                i tried to do them this year and failed so gave in .....
                I know 'they' say sow in March....but ......

Go on.....give them another chance in a couple of weeks - straight into the soil!

Remember you should use fresh seed EVERY year!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  I know 'they' say sow in March....but ......

Go on.....give them another chance in a couple of weeks - straight into the soil!

Remember you should use fresh seed EVERY year!!
                  right i will go out and buy some more this weekend and sow them straight into the soil in the next two weeks ...... Lets see how we get on,
                  all we be posted on my blog so watch this space
                  Last edited by roadkill; 30-04-2008, 04:39 PM.
                  http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                    brooklynodog - I am pleased that your germination rate has improved but concerned that you left the seedlings in the loo rolls until they were 3 inches tall. It is vital to get the seedlings into their final growing position before the tap root reaches the bottom of the tube - did you check this?

Yes, no sign of taproot. Had some in roottrainers as well.
                    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
                    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
                      right i will go out and buy some more this weekend and sow them straight into the soil in the next two weeks ...... Lets see how we get on,
                      all we be posted on my blog so watch this space
                      Good on ya!!

Nice bit of fleece too?????

( optimum germination temp is 21C and should take 14-21 days )

Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

Comment

seems I have been lucky. Straight into the ground.
                        I have used the Lancer type which are supposed to be good harvested small and although a bit slow to come up initially I have had two seasons from one packet of Dobies seeds.
                        If left longer they still are normal size although less tasty.
                        I have just bought a pack for this season so if its a disaster I shall blame the brand of seeds.Germination is often said to be a problem with stale seeds but the Dobies came just in a paper packet - no foil and still did well.

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                          Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've not had a problem with germination, just growing the bloomin things. They are in the ground for so long (8 months) and yet still seem to be extremely tiny and spindly. Have I got the wrong soil?
                          I was having loads of probs as I am on clay so now I dig a trench and fill it with leaf mold and home made compost. If you use manure it will be too rich and the roots will split.

Plant the seeds in the seeds in purchased general Purpose compost. put in a COVERED HEATED Propogator.

Plant them out then every few months give them some Blood Fish and Bone.

Then post them to me for taste testing.....LOL
                          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I always sow mine directly outside, I read something years ago that you shouldn't sow until the local hawthorn has broken bud. I do warm the soil with cloches but they can be really slow to germinate even then
                            tangle

Comment

Originally posted by Tangle View Post
                              I always sow mine directly outside, I read something years ago that you shouldn't sow until the local hawthorn has broken bud. I do warm the soil with cloches but they can be really slow to germinate even then
                              tangle
                              Hi there Tangle- welcome to the Vine!

When are you intending sowing your seeds outside??
                              ( ps where abouts are you located??)

Comment

Thanks NOG! Await the postman .............
                                ~
                                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X