No announcement yet.

Potatoes!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried a no-dig bed with mulch and I got a huge amount of clean spuds out of it! Was very impressed, I think others have tried but got a lot of slug damage. I used the straw and stuff from my chickens as mulch.

Comment

Lou Lou
      See this months GYO re planting spuds for later in the year - espesh for Xmas
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lou- lou, your potatoe question is quite complex and there is no simple answer. It comes down to what kind of potatoes do you want to grow, what are you growing them in and where do you live.

Potatoes are half hardy. That means they won't tolerate frost. So to grow a crop now you need to work out if you can get them to eating size before the frost gets them.

So - when are your first frosts expected. Cant see where you live. In this neck of the woods it is September, but it could be later. Earlies take about 13 weeks to be ready so from now until September would be pushing to get a crop before first frost in open ground. However, if they were planted in containers that could be moved into polytunnel, greenhouse or covered with fleece, then there is every chance of getting potatoes. Even in open ground your frosts might be expected later, or might come later than usual. You might want to gamble on it.However, for maincrop varieties which need about 22 weeks to be ready I think you really would be gambling on the weather. I wouldn't do it.

If you don't know when to expect your first frost you should be voting FOR the weather board in the poll on the site.
        Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your potatoes. I'm planting some more Charlotte in buckets tomorrow. Delicious and well worth while.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Charlotte in a bucket

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0057.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2317905
          My Charlotte had been in the bucket 15 weeks today and I emptied it out. WOW ! 4 lbs of gorgeous potatoes. I am just delighted . I still have a dustbin to empty so can't wait to see what's in there but I'll let you know.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Well done Alice, what a great crop. I still have some potato seed left and just put them in the other day. Glad to see I am not the only being adventurous. Good Luck with yours.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X