No announcement yet.

How behind am I?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ground is so wet, I darn't plant anything yet and tonight is really cold. I think another couple of weeks and we'll see an upturn in the weather then we can really make a start.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
      I just wondered what other grapes had already planted on their lotties as I only have the onion sets I planted last autumn. My ground is all ready, but what with the horrible, cold, wet weather we've been having I have nothing else planted in the ground. I have lots of seedlings growing in the greenhouse - Am I really behind? What has everyone already planted?
      Bernie aka DDL
      I'm just down the road from you Bernie (Bolton) and so far have only planted onion sets and a row of early potatoes last Saturday, both are under fleece.

Well all be working like mad once this weather picks-up.

Have a good season.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Autumn red onions and garlic only at the moment, i have more garlic in small pots, all ready to pop in, but my ground isn't even ready yet due to a bad back. There's no rush though, this stuff will catch up on itself, if planted/sown in May
        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I have overwinteres Shallots and Garlic in and Broad Beans. Parsnips in under fleece more to keep the cats off than for protection. Potatoes in and fingers crossed that they will survive. We have to plant early here in an attempt to escape the blight. Seedling Onions planted out but everything else still in the cold frame.

Don't worry Bernie it will all catch up.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The beauty of raising your veg in modules - as I almost always do - is that if you get a spell of crummy weather you can just hold on to them for a bit. I have peas going out in the day and back at night - and a sowing of Markana peas actually in the lee of the greenhouse - hardened off a week ago but ground too soggy. They are draped in plastic netting and seem quite happy there - so, no rush.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Bernie.

Looks like we're all in the same boat. As someone on here said last week (sorry - can't remember who!) why make the plants struggle? They'll grow much better in good conditions. My OH tell me the BBC weather website is saying temperatures will gradually improve now, and the second half of April will be much closer to seasonal averages.

That's next week, so by then we'll all be too busy planting out to post on here.
              I've had my weetabix...

Comment

I'm trying to rein myself in a bit

So far I have garlic in the ground (some of the varieties need a month in cold ground to cleave properly), a few hardy broad beans sheltering under netting, and new potatoes planted mainly because they insisted on sprouting during a warm spell

To defeat the slugs, I'm getting most of my early veg - leeks, celeriac, beetroot, peas - started under cover, in my unheated conservatory until last weekend, now in a fleece-covered mini-greenhouse outside. I'm still getting to know which plants benefit from an early start and which are best left until later in the spring...

Comment

got 1st early taties n onions in at the moment.......just made a new raised bed that i need to fill before i can plant more

Comment

I've got in the ground;
                    potatoes
                    garlic
                    brussels and broccolli
                    cabbages red - white and chinese
                    cauliflower
                    broad beans
                    onion sets
                    8 squashes - veg spagetti and butternut under cloches

to go in the next 2 weeks ;
                    onion from seed
                    french beans
                    runner beans
                    ---) CARL (----
                    ILFRACOMBE
                    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I thought it was just me. I read things on here about courgettes, runner beans, sweetcorn and the like already away and wonder if I'm missing out. I suppose last year's warm spring you'de get away with it easier and the risk paid off, but so rubbish so far this year

I've put in the ground only rocket taters and Jerusalem artichokes, which the pigging tree rats keep trying to dig up - bu that's another story

Broad beans in newspaper pots ready to go in, currently residing on patio

onions, shallots and garlic in modules on patio, awaiting their bed to be dug. Tree rats very interestes in these too. buggers

In the cold frame but still only teeny weeny
                      brussels
                      Cauli all year round
                      Leeks
                      peas
                      the other artichokes - globe? brain's gone, that doesn't sound right..

in the conservatory
                      tomatoes
                      more tomatoes
                      peppers
                      aubergines
                      tomatilloes
                      chillis
                      more chillies
                      basil
                      scorzerona (sp?)

I think that's it. I'd better get those beds dug, though

Comment

Thanks everyone - thats the good thing about the vine - its good to get reassurance from others that what you are doing is the right thing! Bernie aka DDL
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Have very little actually in the garden, in the conservatory I have aubergines, peppers, chillies, alpine strawberry seedlings and various herbs. Still in the propogator waiting to come through are toms, tomatillos, squash and a few flowering things. Also inside are sweetcorn (only sowed yesterday) and mange tout. In the greenhouse are some peas, lettuce and radish. Will be sowing beans, courgettes etc in a few weeks time.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Pretty much the same as everyone else - garlic, shallots, some onions, some potatoes (under a mini polytunnel) and some broad beans (that I'd sown in some toilet rolls in the greenhouse earlier). Everything else is in pots in the greenhouse and all over the house...
                            http://a-plot-too-far.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh yes and I've got some potatoes chitting but not planted up as yet.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I suppose what tends to catch the eye are the threads that say "I've sowed my whatever today" and we think "blimey! perhaps I should be doing mine" when it's likely those folks have better protection, heated greenhouses or whatnot. (or are just giving it a go to see if they get away with it!)

We don't get threads saying "I've not sowed anything today, nothing in my patch at all", well not till now anyway! Yyou're right about the reassurance, though. I'll resist the itchy fingers and save my courgette seeds for a while yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X