No announcement yet.

Three Sisters Query

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very useful talent when you've only written 500 words of a 5,000 word report and it's due in tomorrow..

Just write your thesis title on the back of a tenner and post with sae to .....

Comment

ME .....address available on the interweb
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

OK Bride, seeing as it's Xmas, how about a 50 / 50 split?

Or they could just send cake and booze......

Comment

correct terms to describe three sisters

multidimensional companion planting or multidimensional polycropping

Comment

i did try growing beans and sweetcorn together ...... unfortunately my only 2 corn plants that grew, only got to about 2 foot tall, and the 2 bean plants just died ....... i did grow the squashes and courgettes and pumpkins ... upwards up sticks though, which worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by gridgardener View Post
              multidimensional companion planting or multidimensional polycropping
              Lol, certainly more concise than my effort.

That is soooooooo kewl - didn't know about the multi-dimensional usage, gonna go try it now in some of my alternate realities.....

'Penfold, open a quantum singularity........'

'Bride, if I'm not back by yesterday, you've got three theses to write.......don't eat all the cake'

Red x
              Last edited by crazy_red; 06-12-2008, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Okay, question for you all. If I use "Ashworth" Sweetcorn (grows to about 4 feet tall), could I plant dwarf beans - Minidor, perhaps? And as I detest squashes, courgettes etc could I plant cucumbers instead of the squashes

Comment

I don't think you've quite grasped the principle here; The advantage of underplanting with harvest once crops. butternuts etc. with something like borlotti beans rather than courgettes, cucumbers or the sort of french/runner beans you need to pick young and often is not having to disturb it all.

I've not grown minador but a dwarf french will probably just be shaded out. I'm sure you could grow some ridge cukes near the edge where you can get to them. Certainly don't bother with squashes if you don't like them.

I raise everything in pots so ill get the sweetcorn growing then a month or so later the beans go in with the butternuts. Leave a spot in the centre with a deep hole filled with straw compost etc for a reservoir (it is also handy to invert a bottle by them to aid later watering ) Then, a fortnight later, feed and apply a grassclipping mulch... which they all love.

The beans fix nitrogen to feed the others the sweetcorn provides ample support and the squashes shade out weeds and keep it all cool and damp at the roots. It really does work and save space with good timing and a little practise.

I don't always do this anymore ...especially as I have two allotments and a veg Garden at home...i'm not really too pushed for space!
                  Last edited by Paulottie; 06-12-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Even if I don't get many beans, I'd still plant some cos then you get the advantage of the nitrogen added to the soil which will be good for the other crops.

I have to agree with you Alison, Cheaper and healthier fertiliser with the addition of some beans at the end. I cannot think of any other feriliser that tastes so nice
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X