No announcement yet.

how long to keep fleece on potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sunlight has heated the greenhouse on my allotment upto 36 degrees this is measured on a max min digital thermometer, and since putting kitchen roll over I have had no problems with them fermenting or going soft and squishy all it does is act like fleece.
    I know they need sunlight but I dont think direct sunlight is good when ther is a lack of ventilation such as in a shed or greenhouse.

Just my opinion of course, but from first hand experience.
    Last edited by crichmond; 25-03-2008, 12:03 PM.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Always a problem when the sun come in and out during spring. I fitted all my greenhouses (yes, got three of them now!!)with autoventing. Definitely a good investment.

The one I use for propergation, an old wooden framed one, is also completely bubble wrapped on glazed section and cellotexed on lower portion. It is far more consistent and I find this has really helped reduce the problem of baking of the seedlings when the sun suddenly comes out.

Comment

Hi Paul

Ive got three myself, but the one with the bubble wrap has obviously got a gap somewhere as mice were getting in and eating my seed potatos even though they were on top of the staging.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Very difficult to keep the mice out I'm afraid, I don't seem to have too much of a problem with them at home(where my propagation house is). But those at the lottie are a real pest- the neighbour uses chocolate and broad beans as bait as they infact don't seem to like cheese!

Comment

My seed potatoes decided to start sprouting when we had that unseasonably warm spell in early February, so I put them out in trays to chit so that the shoots would at least be short and healthy instead of long and weak. This week I noticed that they were starting to send out spiky horizontal shoots, which I assumed were the ones the tubers would grow on, so I thought it was time they went in the ground. The soil on my lottie (slightly clayey loam over chalk, a bit weedy but otherwise in pretty good condition) is damp but by no means sodden, so I'm hoping they'll be OK!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X