No announcement yet.

potato earthing up - why?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, nothing personal about Jamie...Infact I met him many years ago in London. It certainly no reflection on you or your post and please mention whomsoever you like....I've been to the potting shed and am now calm! I think it was the massive over exposure of him by supermarket advertising that got to me. Supermarkets I do regard as the enemy. It was this sudden volte-face to guru of the garden that suprised me. I do imagine that whilst we all discuss veg growing and our successes and failures here, it would be a pre-requisite to actually know your subject through first hand experience to be paid to preach to the nation on television.

To be fair I did try and point out that I'm glad if he was encouraging people and try and apologise for my little outburst. Toys are back in the pram please forgive me.... I promise not to divert from your thread again CuteC

CuteC. Yeah i was glad that i didn't ruin the Tom seeds last year!

Foremost and old favourite here(grown them many times very productive in our sandy soil.. but I do prefer a waxier early spud. I am growing the Juliettes again, also trialing int. Kidney for first time. The Anya were absolutely superb I grew them last year but again I'm afraid they didn't store well because they started to suffer from blight. Not tried Cara but I am growing Rattes (and a load of PFA that i didn't want again. but Dobies sent insted of the Rattes)

Comment

No worries Paul, and CuteC sorry about the thread diversion

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Yep.......I'm an old fart and proud of it
        Nay lad, yer nobbut a young fart!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

black plastic mulch

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
          Undoubtedly, the best lazy method I've found is through Mypex with a bulb planter (better than builders plastic, as it allows water through)

I'd be interested to know how long Mypex lasts before breaking down - personally I don't like using plastic as a mulch, and it's not recommended for long-term use anyway. Perhaps it's good for a couple of years, to get the weeds under control, and then you have to dispose of it? http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/scho...ingMulches.pdf
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My tatties are in compost bags and I only have a limited amount of compost available for earthing up, once I've used this could I use shredded paper as I don't have much in the way of grass clippings (having dug up most of the lawn to make space for veg )
            Last edited by Winky; 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

hmmm...what else might be used, if one hasn't got enough compost....and doesn't have access to grass cuttings....?

Comment

Originally posted by citygirl View Post
                hmmm...what else might be used, if one hasn't got enough compost....and doesn't have access to grass cuttings....?
                I'd be touching up the neighbours for *their* grass clippings!
                I think you can also use straw, which is probably a completely useless suggestion, but if you can use straw I reckon you could use shredded paper... ??
                Last edited by Demeter; 11-05-2008, 09:50 PM.
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  I'd be interested to know how long Mypex lasts before breaking down - personally I don't like using plastic as a mulch, and it's not recommended for long-term use anyway. Perhaps it's good for a couple of years, to get the weeds under control, and then you have to dispose of it? http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/scho...ingMulches.pdf
                  I brought the first batch five years ago. You're right it takes about two years for the majority of the weeds to die. but I moved it about a bit for the crop rotation. I don't try and clear everything with it but it really saves on water and weeding and gives you a fighting chance. The only fairly permanent crop I have through it is strawberries...It saves lots of time.

My first lottie is fairly weed free now and doesn't need it, but I have brought some extra and have loads on the new plot. There is no sign of it breaking down but its most annoying feature is undoubtedly the fraying (we had strands everywhere at first) I ran a load through the sewing machine which helped and some was sealed with a hot melt glue gun but it is quite an effort to sort out. It costs me about 50p a square metre but I think the investment has been really worthwhile. I have donated some of the older stuff to other beginners and sold some new stuff to others to make a bit of money for the allotments. I don't say its perfect but it is certainly durable and we get enough use from it. None has been sent to landfill as yet. It doesn't grow in or leach chemicals like carpet (which I have banned on our site). I also believe if it helps newbies get a handle on their plots it means they are more likely to stay and enjoy.

Comment

RE: Grass Clippings. I don't have a lawn, but 100s of people are out mowing theirs in the evenings. I just cycle past and ask nicely if I could have a bagful, instead of it going into their green bin. Result.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm experimenting with chopped down nettles (mostly, theres some thistles and grass in there too) as mulch (for courgettes so far but i'll probably sling some on my earlies tonight as they're ready to earth up) as I have a seemingly unending supply of these so I figured they may as well do me some good incidentally.. anyone know where I can get a scythe/sickle? feel this would make quicker work of them than the shears tho i'd have to be careful not to chop off anything i don't want to (like bits of me.. )
                      I have a dream:
                      a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

I sow my spuds under compost and straw, this keeps the light out so the spuds don't green. When it comes to harvest time the spuds are nice and clean.
                        good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

I use sickles (and occasionally a scythe) Becca. You'll need a carborundum stone too. When kept sharp they are faster, quieter and less destructive to wildlife than a strimmer.

I'd look in a carboot/ garage clearance. May I say that (without being patronising) I've been using one for many years ....it is a knack and they can be dangerous. With a sickle ALWAYS have a good stick in the left hand and brace it on the ground infront of you to stop it swinging round into your shin.

Also I would be careful not harvest material that is going to seed.

Comment

I use sickles (and occasionally a scythe) Becca. You'll need a carborundum stone too. When kept sharp they are faster, quieter and less destructive to wildlife than a strimmer.
                            Or if you don't have a sickle... My nettles get attacked with a big stick - nettle-thwacking is seriously therapeutic And I've found that a spade or a hoe is pretty effective too: slash them, bash them, and chop any defiant stems. Mind, it's not very NEAT - personally I don't want to collect the nettles, I just want to kill them!

Comment

Nettles support a surprising amount of beneficial wildlife and predatory insects and are the breeding choice of the much loved red admiral. I have a patch or two (plus comfrey and a buddlia) close to my lottie that I leave for this purpose. Otherwise the nettles are harvested for making feed. Further thwacking them will do no good (however satisfying you may find it) without digging out those yellow roots...they'll be saying 'I'll be back ars*hole' in their best Arnie accent.

Comment

Nettles support a surprising amount of beneficial wildlife and predatory insects and are the breeding choice of the much loved red admiral. I have a patch or two (plus comfrey and a buddlia) close to my lottie that I leave for this purpose. Otherwise the nettles are harvested for making feed. Further thwacking them will do no good (however satisfying you may find it) without digging out those yellow roots...they'll be saying 'I'll be back ars*hole' in their best Arnie accent.
                                Ah, but there are plenty of nettles nearby that *aren't* where I want to plant stuff: the wildlife is welcome to those!

(And thwacking is, as you say, only phase one, to get rid of the tops so that you can then dig out the roots without getting stung - speaking of which, I just did my first bit of digging out today on my "reclaimed" patch - the soil underneath is beautiful - completely wasted on nettles but will be a lovely home for my cukes and courgettes and whatever else won't fit anywhere else...)
                                Last edited by Demeter; 14-05-2008, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X