No announcement yet.

potato barrels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ann, I grew my potatoes in empty compost bags turned inside out, 3 seeds pr bag and just topped up when needed to earth them up. got some stacking pallets to put the bags into so didn’t look too untidy in my garden.

works out cheeper.
    Last edited by gardenplot; 29-02-2008, 08:38 PM.
    Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

For flower buckets - try your local Co-Op.

Currently they seem to have no recycling scheme for either the plastic or to sell buckets in bundles - even for charity. I've got loads from my 2 local stores and just put a small donation into charity box of the day.

Comment

Shirley's right, the flower buckets look fine when they're planted up - I stuck a ring of copper tape round a few of mine last year to keep the slugs off & they looked quite decorative
        I can understand you not fancying a stack of tyres piled up though

Comment

this garden belongs to the whole family, and they don't want to be surrounded by old tyres and dustbins when they sit outside.

They like to eat don't they? Tell 'em to shut up or go hungry!
          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

with reference to the flowere buckets,i asked at our local asda store,they were very busy at the time, putting out flowers for mothers day,so mother had her day, and after asking came out with 30 odd of them,completely free,they were only to pleased to oblidge,they will be handy not just for spudz but withe the bottom taken out,will make tomato pots for the green house,as well as extra large pots for other plants,after drilling a few holes in the bottom,why not keep 1 as a waste bin in green house
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Norm
              Originally posted by BarleySugar
              ...this garden belongs to the whole family, and they don't want to be surrounded by old tyres and dustbins when they sit outside...
              They like to eat don't they? Tell 'em to shut up or go hungry!
              Your reply is un-necessarily rude. There are plenty of ways to grow potatoes in containers and not pay lots of money for the containers. This can be done without making your garden look like a junk-yard. I have also to say I can't imagine tyres are very lightweight either. Many alternate ideas have been mentioned, we use the plastic recycling boxes provided by the Council to grow some of our spuds in. I like the compost sacks in the 'pallet box' that gardenplot uses - very nice.
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 02-03-2008, 09:37 AM.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

The reply was not intended to be rude, it was intended to be humorous. I also didn't mention tyres, it was a quote from Ann who began the thread, after a thought from Paul Wagland. Pleaase note, nobody else got the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

The reply was not intended to be rude...
                  So why not use smilies. How can anyone tell what the tone of your post is when you say 'shut up or....'
                  Last edited by smallblueplanet; 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I didn't make the mistake. One of the regulations for this site is not to be abusive, threatening or in any way inappropriate. Had the moderators felt in any way that I had infringed the rules I think they would have told me by now. It may be beneficial in future to ascertain if a slght was intended, rather than jump to conclusions in error.

Comment

I didn't make the mistake....
                      But you did, I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought the tone of your post was a bit ott, and there were no smilies to indicate a joke. How else would a post be read when there is no indication of humour?

Comment

Please advise of any other complaints

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X