• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg boxes

any good as seed trays?
    aka
    Suzie

Better for chitting potatoes in. I would imagine they would get a bit soggy after a while - unless you're planning to plant it straight out? Perhaos would work for cut and come again lettuce - small batches?
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

I think my mind was in the planting straight out stage - but who knows with me
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

I've tried Macky Dee;s containers which are made of the same stuff thinking that I may at least be able to get something edible from them! All to no avail tho as the containers dried out too quickly!

Should have known better than expect to get something edible from Macdonalds!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Should have known better than expect to get something edible from Macdonalds!
          ain't that the truth
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Hi

I've used them in the past, I've used a lot of methods as I am a tightwad. I found they do dry out, but I put them into plastic containers [from my Cauldron veggie sausages] and keep them topped up. I did make a hole in the bottom when I planted out for the roots to dangle down tho'. Same with the newspaper pots, I undo the bottom when planting out.

The stupid thing is I have loads and load of the same size plastic pots in the garage! What a muppet! I just don't like to chuck useable stuff out when I can plant something in it.

Comment

I've never tried them and I guess it depends what you are trying. If is use as a seed tray maybe it would work but if you mean as a cell type I'd stick with paper pots. Roll a strip of paper round a glass, tuck in the ends and hey presto a nice pot. The paper disintegrates quick enough for a small seedling to get its roots through without unbinding and collapsing the pot. Works really well.
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've tried them - amazing how many of us have! I found they were rather hard to keep moist - they disintegrated in the soil but I fear they did restrict the roots to the plant's detriment. Not done it since!
                You can recycle your egg boxes either by giving them to someone with chickens or ripped up and well wetted in the compost heap.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X