Preparing peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing peas

Hi there. I read somewhere that prior to sowing peas should be soaked in water overnight. Also that a drop of parafin discourages the mice. What do folk think of these ideas please?
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Hi there
    I'm still learning myself so am not an expert - I don't soak my peas in paraffin but sow them in lengths of guttering suspended from the roof of my lean-to then plant out as a whole row when about 3" tall. Had a great crop last year like this and didn't lose any to mice so am repeating this year.

Comment

The soaking helps them to germinate a little faster - I soak my bean seeds for a couple of days till a sprout appears.

the paraffin is to deter mice, who would otherwise eat the peas faster than you can sow them (if you're plot has mice, that is). I think my slugs have eaten the mice; they've eaten everything else
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What would you do then two sheds, put a couple of drops of parafin in the soaking water?

Comment

you could also lay some holly over the planting area to deter the mice, they don't like the prickles!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I do the soaking overnight, but not the paraffin. I also usually sow mine indoors in cell trays to beat the mice. Mind you, I don't need too many plants. It wouldn't be practical to sow indoors if you needed lots. Some people also sow indoors (or in cold greenhouse) in lengths of plastic guttering and then slide the whole lot into a small trench or furrow on the lottie. Haven't tried it myself, but sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Yes, Ive heard of the guttering ruse, but dont have any! I think I will sow my peas in newspaper pots, 2 or 3 to each, then harden off in the coldframe, before planting out. I just wanted to improve my previously poor success rate of plants versus peas sown!

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                you could also lay some holly over the planting area to deter the mice, they don't like the prickles!
                I saw ol' Harry Dodson use gorse. Parrafin is quite an established method ( one fella at the allotment claimed he used it to dress carrot rows too( to deter fly and give carrots a head-start on the weeds.) not my style, so I use guttering then fleece for a bit mainly cos mice ain't the only things who want to eat them.

Comment

I find this parafin angle quite interesting, although it was only a sub issue to my original purpose. I try to be as organic as possible (and practical) but I suppose parafin is an organic product? How would you apply it though?

Comment

Never done either and have had some of my best results from pea seed that I've just pushed into the soil with my finger! Mind you, my cats would have the mice before they get to the peas so not a problem for me!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Am waiting to hear if paraffin is a good idea or not, sowed my early peas, put them in the cold frame and all gone the next day, every blinking one eaten - very tidy though, can't fault the mice on that... resown and put them all in the greenhouse, so far they're still there.
                      best wishes
                      Sue

Comment

hello,
                        this sounds really stupid but if you had some spare peas you could just leave some around so the mice wouldn't eat the ones you were trying to grow!

but that will most probably just give a taste for them and you would end up with a whole invasion of them.
                        isnt ther some sort of saying,
                        one for the mouse , one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow.

buttercup.

Comment

Soaking is always a good plan for a head start. I have never used paraffin so I have no idea whether it deters mice or not. I'm not a member of the organic squad, so I'd just poison the critters. If you don't want to be too sadistic, you could put a pea in the middle of the poison - bit like a cherry on a cream cake!
                          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

I wouldn't like to put parafin on a plant I'm going to eat. OK I'm not eating the seed but I don't know if the stuff will get into the plant, and I'm not prepared to take the risk. I also I don't want my nice organic soil tainted with hyrdrocarbons. Just my feelings. I always soak big seeds, pea, bean etc to give them a good start.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I agree Flum, no parafin for me!
                              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X