Bush Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
    So did your tomato crop match with the size of the bush? Does that mean it's safer to grow vine tomatoes in the ground and if they have to be bush then go for compact bush variety. So all non-compact bush tomatoes should ideally be grown in pots...but I'm wondering what effect this has on tomato yield.

EDIT - Totally confused now but it doesn't matter!
    It really depend on what you need Veg. I try my best to look for info of my bush tom sadly not much of them state how tall they grow (except for those mini type like tiny tim, micro tom,etc) let alone matching the crop. I don't mind if it is not a heavy producer but has to be compact (not too tall) and produce tasty fruit . This has really annoyed me! With all the vague advertisement and information they set for the toms you never really know what you gonna get and after growing it you realize it is not what you want!!
    I wish for smaller bush(such as max 2 ft) but it seems to be difficult. Some has the size of bush I want but don't produce the fruit with the taste I like. As space has been my big problem here, if they are too tall, no doubt they will shade other plant. I don't know, it is really chicken and egg games. Buy it, grow it and you will know the truth.
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
      Wha? How did you come to that conclusion??

Any tomato can be grown in the ground or pot.

I would avoid using the term "bush" - there are big bushes and small bushes (can't believe I wrote that ).

Tomatoes are either determinate or indeterminate in nature. Within the determinate subset, there are dwarf, tumbling and large sprawling types.
      Please totally ignore my post, the confusion started with the thread over a bush tomato that was vine tomato all along. I've blanked out everything that I've read from this thread frankly just so I don't pick the wrong facts .
      Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by momol
        Some has the size of bush I want but don't produce the fruit with the taste I like......
        An opportunity to try grafting? Did you see the two youtube videos on the 'tomato grafting' thread? It looked easy. (But its an abomination unto the lord, I'm sorry to say! - Lol! I'm a bit so-so about grafting, its a personal affectation. )
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-02-2008, 04:11 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          An opportunity to try grafting? Did you see the two youtube videos on the 'tomato grafting' thread? It looked easy. (But its an abomination unto the lord, I'm sorry to say! - Lol! I'm a bit so-so about grafting, its a personal affectation. )
          Grafting is not suggested for bush type SBP!
          The bush type is program only to grow to certain height, produce fruit and stop producing from the same stem. This means I will have to graft so many.
          It is really for the vine (indeterminant) really as you have to put some string supporting it especially when it fruit. Due to heavy, it will ruin the join of the graft if they don't have any support !
          Well that's the fun and agony of choosing and growing your own .
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X