No announcement yet.

Butter bean seeds??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering about growing butter beans too and that's great advice to just get some dried ones. A google search didn't come up with much and I couldn't narrow down which variety to get.

Comment

I can't find where it is,but I'm sure I've read that you can grow them in a polytunnel,need a long season to ripen reliably I think.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepkoreilly View Post
        I have been succesfully growing true butter beans in England for about 4 years now.
        You can just go into any supermarket and buy a pack of dried butter beans and a lot of them do organic too and a lot cheaper than seed companies.
        Just plant them in a seed compost about 1.5inch deep and plant out late April to early May.
        I plant the seeds around late December indoors.
        Thanks for jogging my memory!

- off to sainsburys this afternoon to buy some

Comment

Originally posted by stevepkoreilly View Post
          I have been succesfully growing true butter beans in England for about 4 years now...I plant the seeds around late December indoors.
          I've never been successful with true butter beans before, but I won't give up!
          I grew some (eating ones from supermarket pack) in the gh this summer. Planted 1st June, harvested dry after 4 months. Only one plant survived out of four, dwarf plant, small crop (about 12 seeds in all).

I also grew Seeds of Italy - BUTTERBEAN FAGIOLO DI SPAGNA (UK only) on the lotty, and got a few more from them, but still only about 25 beans in all from 4 plants.

The best, by far, has been Moonlight runner bean ~ hugely prolific and a lovely fat white "butter bean" seed
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I saved enough for seed next year, never thought of eating the others! ....silly me *blush*

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X