No announcement yet.

vegetables for freezing please ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We freeze our basil kinda like kentvegplot does (cheese-less pesto), but as cheese-less, nut-less, garlic-less pesto!

Oh okay, we freeze our basil in oil. Keeps very well.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hi
      Frozen cabbage got the thumbs down but if you freeze it blanched and shredded it tastes pretty good with cheese sauce after you steam it.
      Also don't like frozen runner beans but did like them cooked in tomato sauce, it was a HFW recipe and I made vats of it in my jam pan, just a few precious packs left.
      Any courgettes or marrows left over I freeze in the quantity used in my favourite courgette cake recipe and for stuffed pasta shells.
      Make lots of tomato puree and freeze in one and two tablespoonsfuls and keep back excess tomatoes frozen whole to add to soups.
      When I have an overload of potatoes I freeze that mashed, great for being able to use as a topping for a veg casserole or shepherd's pie.
      I also try to only use locally produced nuts being in Kent and shell those and freeze them for winter use.
      It's getting to that time of year when you start rummaging about and wonder what to make to use up the last of the fruit and veg. Get the freezers emptied out, defrosted and ready and waiting for what evers coming next!
      Sue

Comment

The best way to freeze any veg is to copy the professionals. With cabbage (or any veg) towel dry it thoroughly first, chop it, then freeze it on a tray, when its frozen bag it. I haven't blanched for years now with no noticeable loss of flavour although I am told there may be a loss of nutrients.

Comment

I really think certain product are better for freezing than the other depending on the Cultivar and the way we freeze it. For an example:frozen french beans, most people said french beans became mushy after freezing but mine dont, as it is suitable for fresh eating and freezing purposes .
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I do freeze carrots, but only for mixing with swede during the days like today. I try to succession sow and to live off what I have in the garden rather than buy veg [except pots and onions if we have none]. Hopefully when we have a lottie I can put a stop to that and exist off the grown veg alone.

Comment

We freeze tomatoes, plum type, chopped & frozen in 'tin' sized amounts, they disintegrate a bit on cooking, but work well in pasta sauces etc. Also chillis & peppers frozen whole then bagged, they also only work for cooking though.
              I haven't had enough leftover of anything else yet, hoping to have a massive French bean glut though as they are my favourite veg with a roast dinner
              Last edited by SarzWix; 19-02-2008, 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling... Still looks wrong though??!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                We freeze tomatoes, plum type, chopped & frozen in 'tin' sized amounts, they disintegrate a bit on cooking, but work well in pasta sauces etc. Also chillis & peppers frozen whole then bagged, they also only work for cooking though.
                I haven't had enough leftover of anything else yet, hoping to have a massive French bean glut though as they are my favourite veg with a roast dinner
                Sarah,

I freeze some of the market bought meaty sweet peppers too. They were roasted (and I like it peeled too) and cut into big cubes and freeze straight in bags. It really is wonderful to have it during winter, great for pizza topping, in goulash soup and other stew...yummy! A very welcome winter treat .
                As for tomatoes, I made sauces and bottle them all as basic tomato sauce for all purpose.
                I will be happy to be able to freeze 5 or 6 portions of each extra harvest. Will try my best this summer.
                Last edited by momol; 19-02-2008, 02:02 PM.
                I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X