Planting on onion seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting on onion seeds

I had planted ailsa craig onion seeds approx 3 weeks ago into a single seed tray. they germinated after 7 days on the windowsill and have been growing ever since. They are all about 1.5" high but just wanted to know when is the best time to transplant them to pots before putting out into the veg bed ?

Thanks
    Gardening blog http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.co.uk

I pot mine on when the seedling is at a right angle, (before it straightens up), probably about 10 days ago for yours.
    Its not a definitive answer but you are probably better off doing it earlier rather than later because of the length of root that will be growing.
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

The boss potted mine on just after the crook stage, and she reports that all is doing well with them.
      As Geordie says reasonably early is good due to root length.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

HOOOOOOOO better get mine potted out then just at crook stage now,
        was not really sure when to re plant on Thankyou
        Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Mine are individually sown in modules, am I correct in thinking they can stay there till big enough to plant out?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

SHIRL
            I pot mine on to the square black pots or three inch round pots IMO you get a better root system if the pots are a little deeper, I also use a mixture of john innes and multi purpose compost then it is not such a shock to the plant when you put it in soil.

Comment

Thanks Paul. When I plant the next lot I think I will put them a little deeper in the soil too.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

thanks all for the replies. I see what you mean about long roots !!! Transplanted them all tonight into pots and the roots were so long on a lot of them. Hope they will grow now !

Ah well, another lesson learnt and glad I asked for advice on here.

Cheers
                Gardening blog http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X