No announcement yet.

Mange Tout

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might also try sugar snap peas -they are a similar thing bit not quite so flat...and can be left to mature and shelled. Sugar ann (early variety)and sugar crystal both good. They are both available from Dobies as is Oregon sugar pod.

Comment

Originally posted by mozgreen View Post
      An excellent vegatable that was almost as space:crop efficient as runner beans. Has anyone any ideas for tastier varieties, though?
      I would recommend Golden Sweet from Real Seeds (Vegetable Seeds : Pea seeds). It's yellow, (hence the name) which is a bit worrying to start with, but very tender and sweet, prolific, and pretty with purple flowers. Also, it's true that the coloured pods stand out against the green plants so you are more likely to spot them while they're still at mange tout stage. We have grown Carouby de Mausanne before and it's fine, with good big pods and pretty flowers too, but I like this better. We also grow Kent Blue, from the Heritage Seed library, which is very nice, but I think Golden Sweet is my favourite so far in terms of taste...I'll just have to grow and eat lots of them this year to decide..such a hardship!

Agree with Paulottie on sugar snaps (which I've found much of a muchness by variety) - I think perhaps you get more still for your space there, as the pods are fatter (so you have fewer to pick for a serving). Yum.
      Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
        Am I missing something here? Why are they left in the coldframe (or even unheated greenhouse) when it can take substantially quicker to germinate indoors (mine germinated from day 3 onwards)? Are you purposely trying to delay them as it's still early yet. Mine are sitting in the unheated greenhouse to harden off, tallest one is around 5" or so.
        I find growing them in guttering in fresh compost gives them a huge headstart as opposed to planting them straight into the raised beds. I also find it easier to transplant them from the guttering, rather than having not good germination in the ground, and have to transplant individual plants in.
        Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bugs View Post
          I would recommend Golden Sweet from Real Seeds (Vegetable Seeds : Pea seeds). It's yellow, (hence the name) which is a bit worrying to start with, but very tender and sweet, prolific, and pretty with purple flowers. Also, it's true that the coloured pods stand out against the green plants so you are more likely to spot them while they're still at mange tout stage. We have grown Carouby de Mausanne before and it's fine, with good big pods and pretty flowers too, but I like this better. We also grow Kent Blue, from the Heritage Seed library, which is very nice, but I think Golden Sweet is my favourite so far in terms of taste...I'll just have to grow and eat lots of them this year to decide..such a hardship!
          Ive just caught up to this thread, that's good to know beacuse I have some Golden Sweet seeds to try this year!

Has anyone tried growing peas up jerusalem artichoke plants?
          Last edited by Birdie Wife; 08-04-2008, 02:08 PM.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Not a big fan of Only Fools & Horses per se, but can't help myself whenever I hear/see mange tout I find myself quoting Del Boy Trotter:

BBC - Only Fools and Horses - Del's Lingo

I grew Sugarsnap Peas (similar) last year during my first ever growing year and found them easy to grow, though I did suffer a little from mildew towards the latter months.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I've just planted up some Golden Sweet which I've never grown before so have my fingers crossed they're as good as stated. Have grown the common or garden green ones loads of times, in fact last year had some in hanging baskets by the back door which were very handy and rather attractive.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Everyone trying these golden sweet this year, saw them and decided against-wasn't sure they would be attractive on plate-looking forward to the feedback on them if i've underestimated them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                  golden sweet ... saw them and decided against-wasn't sure they would be attractive on plate
                  Understand about the colour, I'm not keen on yellow tomatoes for the same reason, but these are reallly quite springy, and even if you hate the colour I think the flavour warrants the space.

I hope everyone likes them now I've given them such a lot of plugging!
                  Blog.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X