No announcement yet.

Onion Sets Vs Onion Seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the best result's sow seed in September (AFTER SPUDS OR SUGAR SNAPS ECT)thin or transplant early spring If you think about cost you can buy a packet of seed from lidl for 30p sow the lot in September and harvest the lot first week in June (THEN SO BROCCOLI ECT) thats got to be much better than sets

Comment

Apparently, if you want to grow onions for exhibition then seed is the only way to do it properly. I've always used sets till this year. I'm still using sets, but I've also sown Brunswick red onion seeds in cell trays. Will do a "compare" and see what happens.

Comment

I’m doing both seeds & sets, Just to see how both do I like Onions & I like experimenting

My onion seeds have just started to sprout through
        Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Having a go at Robinsons onions this year . Growing away nicely at the
          moment.
          The force is strong in this one!

Comment

Originally posted by johnygreenfeet View Post
            For the best result's sow seed in September, thin or transplant early spring If you think about cost you can buy a packet of seed from lidl for 30p sow the lot in September and harvest the lot first week in June
            Thanks Johnny for your great 'tried and tested' tips, I shall follow this onion growing route too later this year. Wow 30p per seeds packet is very practical to sow everything in one year as we all know, onion seeds don't keep well. Any idea how many onion varieties they sell, any red onions? If you don't know it's okay, I've seen the cheap seeds from stores like Pounstretcher etc.
            Food for Free

Comment

i'm sowing robinsons red and white this year as i had good results last year with the white.
              ---) CARL (----
              ILFRACOMBE
              NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I have just pricked out Robinsons mammoth red and white onion seedlings and some red baron to see if they perform better than sets.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                  I have just pricked out Robinsons mammoth red and white onion seedlings and some red baron to see if they perform better than sets.
                  I know you like the Red Karmen and I've found one site which sells the seeds for this (if it's any useful for future).
                  Vegetable Seeds L-O

Has anyone tried this called onion called 'Long de Florence' from Nicky's seeds?
                  Onion seeds Bulbing and Shallot seed

What's the white onion like for eating and storing? Thanks.
                  Last edited by veg4681; 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM.
                  Food for Free

Comment

We've grown Long Red Florence, very tasty they are too, would definately recommend it.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Cheers Veg

Comment

Hi Piglet just a quick question what size pots are you growing your onion
                        seeds in , Also do you plan to pot them on at a later date.
                        The force is strong in this one!

Comment

Can anyone tell me if growing from onion seeds would produce better spring onions. I've really had enough with pathetic spring onions from spring onion seeds (only ever tried White Lisbon). If I take the route of growing onions from seeds as opposed to raising from onion sets, I'm likely to have far more onion seeds than I need so what better way to use up than eating them as spring onions, useful as onion seeds don't keep well.
                          Last edited by veg4681; 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM.
                          Food for Free

Comment

You can do, however try module sowing your white lisbon or other spring onion seed (about 6 seeds to a module) and plant out the clumps when the module is full of roots.

It really does work.

Comment

I realise that this is an old thread (ah the wonders of Google to find things) but I'm interested to read from all those who did the "set vs seed" experiment how things turned out. We've got a lot of growing space this year and are trying to get as organised as possible as quickly as possible.
                              Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X