Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edible flowers

Grapes,

I am just wondering if anyone grown edible flowers ? I don't have much flowers but those I have are edible such as:
    -Cammomile ( for herbal tea and companion planting).
    -Calendula (edible flowers and young leaves and companion planting).
    -Nasturtium (edible and for companion planting).
    -Corn flower (edible).
    -Dahlia (edible flowers plus to attract insect).
    -Artichoke (if I may group it in flowers)
    and flowers from herbs such as : Coriander, thyme, oregano,chives,garlic chives...

Could you kindly advice me more edible flowers ?

Many thanks in advance .
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

I'm growing a number of different sunflowers this year and the packet says the green buds before the flowers open are delicious cooked in a butter sauce. Not tried before so this will be the first yeer for the taste test.

Well I couldn't imagine a socking great dinner plate sized flower would be quite the same!

Comment

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
      I'm growing a number of different sunflowers this year and the packet says the green buds before the flowers open are delicious cooked in a butter sauce. Not tried before so this will be the first yeer for the taste test.

Well I couldn't imagine a socking great dinner plate sized flower would be quite the same!

But the seeds are delish.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Hi Momol,

We eat our nasturtium flowers and leaves in salads (wonderfully peppery, adds fantastic colours to the salad bowl) and the male flowers off our courgettes (stuffed with cheese and sunflower seeds, dipped in batter, then deep fried) - both delicious.

Also make elderflower champagne - thought about gorse flower wine but it takes forever to get enough flowers!!!

Enjoy

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Liz and Steve View Post
          Hi Momol,
          and the male flowers off our courgettes (stuffed with cheese and sunflower seeds, dipped in batter, then deep fried) - both delicious.
          Enjoy
          Steve
          Had loads of the male flowers last year and thought about doing something like that having seen on TV but wasn't too sure and never got round to it, this year I shall try them dipped & fried in batter .

Could you not also deep fry elderberry flower in batter?

Sunflowers can be grown for eating the seeds.

Lavender gives off a lovely perfumey flavour to sweets and dessert as in Lavender flavoured ice-cream, creme brulee and sorbet.
          Last edited by veg4681; 04-02-2008, 11:40 PM.
          Food for Free

Comment

I think I look forward to the stuffed courgette flowers more than the courgettes. By the end of the season, I don't want to see another courgette. This last season, even though they were covered in mildew, the plants still kept producing fruits at an alarming rate. 'Aint nature wonderfull!
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Roses and lavender are edible, esp. good in those yummy chocolate creams that your grandma used to keep all to herself.
              Violas too, which are pretty frozen into ice-cubes.
              As usual, I have a link:
              Royal Horticultural Society - RHS Garden Harlow Carr: Kitchen Notes - Edible Flowers
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I haven't grown any yet but have bought quite a few seeds for this year. I picked this book up quite cheaply a while ago and it's quite inspiring!

Amazon.co.uk: Good Enough to Eat: Growing Edible Flowers and Cooking with Them: Amazon.co.uk:: Jekka McVicar,Derek St Romaine
                I was feeling part of the scenery
                I walked right out of the machinery
                My heart going boom boom boom
                "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                I've come to take you home."

Comment

Borage flowers are a beautiful blue and look great sprinkled on your salad bowl, Momol. I also love them frozen into an ice cube. Makes the G&T look VERY classy!
                  Don't forget rose petals - lovely and scented.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I do eat courgette and squash flowers too (in omelette, fritata and stuffing...yummy and very pretty too). The other edible flowers I forget to mentioned are: Tung Ho/ chrysanthemun (both leaves and flowers are edible), The roses buds makes great aromatic tea which I like very much and the rose petals can be eaten fresh in salad too...(thanks for the link Two Shed I will try them all), amaranth flowers are edible and taste good (similar to broccoli but different texture) and here, Begonia is advertise as edible (but I never tried it yet).
                    Many thanks for all advice, keep it coming....

Comment

Here's a HUGE list!!!

Edible Flowers, List of Edible Flowers, Incredible Edible Flowers
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        Borage flowers are a beautiful blue and look great sprinkled on your salad bowl, Momol. I also love them frozen into an ice cube. Makes the G&T look VERY classy!
                        Don't forget rose petals - lovely and scented.
                        Haven't tried it Flummery, but will def try some in my salad.

Our favorite salad is flowers and herbs salad, consist of :
                        lots of flower: nasturtium (red and orange),chrysanthemun (flower and leaves), herbs flowers (coriander, thyme, or any herbs flowers I can get my hand on ), plus some iceplant (mesembryanthemun chrystellinum), salsola, any salad leaves, and herbs (basil, thai basil, mint, oregano,fennel, and a bit of coriander). the dressing are mix of: honey,mustard, lemon juice and a pinch of salt ...Hmmm I am hungry...Spring come faster.

I love the idea of edible sunflower too, how woud it taste ? Please let us know how it goes Quark1

Thanks Nicos... which one taste nice? anyone?
                        Last edited by momol; 05-02-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Lavender biscuits....yum

Comment

I was rummaging around in the archives and thought this is a good idea, who eats flowers and what do you eat?

Comment

Cauliflower is an obvious one.
                              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X