Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veg,

I have edited my last post....

I love the taste of Nabana plus they are very pretty. The leaves are bumpy but very smooth and has very mild mustard taste with a mild sweetness but never able to harvest it's flower( can't wait that long ). Like I said before, those for my seeds saving purpose were grown in pots ( not for consumption) and usually only 2 plants per pot(10 littres) plus with fleece to prevent the bees visit.

I am not bothered with amaranth and KK seeds saving. KK need very long time (plus high temp') and the Amaranth for seeds will be massive ( can't offer them space plus the danger of frost is too big).

What are your plan for seeds saving ?
    I am planning to select my oriental vegs varieties into a more manageable number.
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Except for Kang Kong, Pak Choy and Watercress, all the others don't look ideal candidate for my window boxes (20x60cm or 8"x24") project.

As for seeds saving effort, I have unused seed packets from last year for Pak Choy, Choy Sum, Kailaan, Chinese Cabbage, Watercress so no real hurry to collect more seeds, besides there's the Alan Romans Chinese leaf mix for
      80p. May have enough for next 3 years. BTW why are all Pak Choy on the market F1? Mine grew into monster size so I was able to extract some seeds and I want to grow them to see if they're mongrel strain.

If you want, I can try saving seeds for Kang Kong and Amarath but I reckon my seeds stock won't be depleted until after 2-3 years. I could grow them in the greenhouse for the seeds but would you say it's a realistic task? I can also try saving seeds for Collards & NZ Spinach. These 4 I can try saving this year.

Until I taste Kotmatsuna and Tatsoi then can I decide whether to save the seeds but certainly can do so in 2009. Although MoreVeg is good for Oriental leaf veg, their seed qty is not realistic unless you plan to save from them. At the end of the day, the worrying thing is having too many Brassica (& the dreaded clubroot problem).
      Food for Free

Comment

No worries about KK and Amaranth, I will have my fresh seeds supply every year as DH has 1 to 2 trips to far east/year apart from his other destinations. He always get me fresh supply ( that solve the seeds collections problems) . I might collect the collards as mine has over wintered ( they produce flower at their 2nd or 3rd year). As for NZ spinach, I just collect the seeds last year so no hurry this year....

Pak Choy has lots of varieties ( from dwarf to giant) I have so far grown 5 type of them:
        small pak choy, dwarf pak choy, heat resistent, giant and the white stem pak choy. As for taste, they are all the same. The extra dwarf one is very pretty but the giant one is very impressive ( the taste and texture remain the same).

I will try to save some komatsuna seeds this year. but not Tat soi seeds as I got a lot of it ( so as KL).

I am having dilemma of choosing and minimization of my oriental veg...difficult as they are all tasty and pretty...but will have to keep the number down as too much brassica will only end up in having problems ( that is why I give away a lot of them ).
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X