No announcement yet.

Growing lentils and chickpeas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My chickpeas-in-loo-rolls have now poked their heads out - lovely ferny green leaves, more delicate that pea leaves.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      My chickpeas-in-loo-rolls have now poked their heads out - lovely ferny green leaves, more delicate that pea leaves.
      Would love to try chickpeas, please tell me more about the seed you used and how you intend to grow going forward.

Have you grown them before?

Comment

Originally posted by Jillyreeves View Post
        Would love to try chickpeas, please tell me more about the seed you used
        Normal "eating" chickpeas.
        I've covered the topic more fully in another thread: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post359630
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-03-2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I found out from an agricultural site that the spacing for lentils is 15 to 20 per square foot. Fun to grow, they certainly do not have a high yield, but at least they can help to fixate the nitrogen in the soil, and make a great companion to potatoes!

Comment

Lentil and butter beans growing

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
            Shirl, Rustylady and veggieginger are both correct. I grew lentils last year and they are not much to write home about. However.... I also agree with you that it is good to see how these things grow and learn for yourself and if you want any Puy lentil "seeds" just let me know.

The other thing I would say is that, Puy lentils (the only ones I have experience with) are wonderful if let to sprout and eaten raw
            Could you tell me if these two are runners, how big/tall they grow? Ive got both started and the Puy are going tall fast also the butters are doing well, all from Asda. Only doing it for the curiosity. I grew sunflowers from my bread mix (Asda again!) and they were phenominal as high as my studio roof - about 16ft. Anybody know how to shell the seeds quickly? apart from machinery?

Comment

Another good way to serve lentils is to simply boil till soft, allow to cool. refrigerate until needed and serve with a simply french vinaigrette dressing. Delicious!
              The school I went to in France used to use the leftovers up as a starter the next day this way. Sometimes they were boiled with bacon bits and onion, also really tasty

Comment

My chickpeas are now flowering (8" high, lovely feathery foliage and no support needed)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I'm just growing a pot each of lentils and chickpeas; and both are now flowering.

Comment

I've got lots of pods on my chickpeas ... photos to follow.

Comment

The little furry pods are filling out well now. I don't know what kind of a crop I will get, but it's been trouble-free so far.
                      No staking required, no pests, very little watering (but then, I don't water anything very much)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 11-07-2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Mine too, but I only grew a few plants and half haven't flowered at all. One has 4 pods on it and the others have one or two.

Gave one pod a squish yesterday and nothing of any note inside it.

Comment

I've just harvested my first (black) chickpeas ... not a huge crop, but pleasing all the same.

btw, very easy to grow, no trouble at all, but a faff to harvest (only 2 peas per pod, it takes ages)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-09-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

caviar (black) lentils

I harvested my lentils yesterday (seed was from an eating pack in the health food dept of a supermarket). They did really well in our hot dry sandy soil. I didn't support them, they were happy to flop along the ground.
                            Fairly weedy looking plants, very thin & delicate looking, but actually tough as old boots. I didn't feed them, and they got maybe 12 litres of water a week if I remembered.

You only get 2 lentils per pod, and the pods are tiny, so I'm saving most of them for school Garden Club to shell for me in Sept
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-08-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X