No announcement yet.

Growing lentils and chickpeas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you'll get far with the red lentls Shirl - they are split lentils so you haven't got the full seed. Puy are the darker lentil which have the shape that I assume gives them the name - like a lens. This is the entire seed so you can grow them. I also use beluga lentils - assume this means they look like caviar which is not on my regular consumption list!

I love red lentils - they add substance to sauces. I add them to pasta sauces, both meat and veggie ones, and they 'fall' and thicken the sauce and help it to stick to the pasta. I wouldn't be without them.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Of course Scarey could grow 'Puy' lentils! Look at the address!!!!!!
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Thanks Flummery, that's what had me puzzled, didn't see how those little half thingies could grow into plants. I guess I must investigate further into pulses and their uses in cooking. I have bad memories of the windiness they caused and don't really wish to experience that again.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Just don't add them to your JA soup!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            Just don't add them to your JA soup!
            Not likely as I don't grow those (yet)
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
              Of course Scarey could grow 'Puy' lentils! Look at the address!!!!!!
              Good call Jardiniere

I have to confess that I had never tried any type of lentils before we came to live here but I love them now, but only the Puy ones of course
              They are wonderful added to soups and a speciality here is a sort of concoction (sp?) with onions, lentils and creme fraiche Mmmmm,

Was going to post a photo of them but Torchwood has just started......
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                Good call Jardiniere

I have to confess that I had never tried any type of lentils before we came to live here but I love them now, but only the Puy ones of course
                They are wonderful added to soups and a speciality here is a sort of concoction (sp?) with onions, lentils and creme fraiche Mmmmm,

Was going to post a photo of them but Torchwood has just started......
                I love Puy lentils. Post a piccy later - so how come you couldn't grow them successfully?

Oh and did you see the 'cabbage and tomato stew' recipe I posted scarey55? Its an indian dhal type thing, very good way to use your lentils (red), very tastey but not hot!
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 23-01-2008, 09:22 PM.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Re the comments about dried beans. I tried dwarf ones and they don't really deliver as well as being manna for slugs. If you grow the climbing ones you can get a very good yield. I had a well-manured patch about 12ft x 8ft crammed with wigwams and I reckon that the beans I have will provide around 40-60 meals as the main ingredient. Not bad off that patch. The weather had a lot to do with it, the previous dry summer the yield was much less.
                  Sue

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    I love Puy lentils. Post a piccy later - so how come you couldn't grow them successfully?

Oh and did you see the 'cabbage and tomato stew' recipe I posted scarey55? Its an indian dhal type thing, very good way to use your lentils (red), very tastey but not hot!
                    Hi Manda, I did grow them successfully (I think) but there were only 2 lentils per pod and as I said, they were a bit of a "faff" to shell. Perhaps the growing season was bad last year. I might try again this year. Here's a piccy of the lentils straight out of the box (and the box) Sorry, didn't photograph them growing. I haven't tried your recipe but I might have a go, 'specially if it's not hot (bit of a wimp with hot stuff )
                    Attached Files

Comment

What was the difference in taste between fresh and dried lentils?

The cabbage and tomato stew is only as hot as your curry (or sambaar) powder is. We left the curry leaves out because we had none.
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 23-01-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Well, to my mind there's not much difference between the dried lentils and fresh ones once they were in a recipe but..... there's something special about going into the garden and picking fresh lentils and eating them - a bit like eating fresh peas, it's just a bit special to know that you've grown them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55
                          ... it's just a bit special to know that you've grown them yourself.
                          I'll be interested to see what they look like growing, did you say you're trying them again?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                            I'll be interested to see what they look like growing, did you say you're trying them again?
                            Go on then, as you asked so nicely - I'll post a pic but you may have to remind me a bit nearer the time

Comment

Lentils and dried beans of all sorts make a good base for a vegetarian "shepherds pie".

Comment

How to Grow Lentils
                                By ehow_home-garden_writer

Lentils are annual plants producing lens-shaped seeds. A cousin of the bean, the lentil belongs to the legume family, or those with seeds that grow within pods(of apparently two lentils per pod) Lentils are quite rich in iron and have the highest levels of protein of any vegetable next to soybeans. Once you know the right soil and climate conditions you can grow your own lentils.

The ones I bought from the supermarket DO SPROUT after two or three days in a small glass of plain room temp tap water in a quiet place in the kitchen.I am about to plant these into seedling trays to see what happens...

Instructions
                                Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
                                Things You’ll Need:
                                • Soil pH tester
                                • Garden spade
                                Step 1:
                                Test your soil with a soil pH tester. Lentils grow best at a soil pH of 6.0 to 8.0
                                Step 2:
                                Find the best location to plant. Lentils grow best on level or slightly rolling land, which drains well.
                                Step 3:
                                Sow your seedlings using a garden spade early in spring. Work the soil while moist and when the soil is warm enough to stimulate germination.
                                Step 4:
                                Plant seedlings 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep in moist, but not wet, soil. You can plant them a bit deeper in well-draining soil.
                                Step 5:
                                Watch your lentil plants grow. On average they reach 1 to 2 1/2 feet high, with pods that usually hold two lentil seeds each.
                                Step 6:
                                Harvest them around mid-July when seeds mature and your soil dries. Lentils are drought tolerant and can grow under fairly dry conditions, although they do require a minimum of 6 inches of rain or watering during the entire growing season.

• Once planted, seedlings tolerate light frost and can regrow from below the soil surface if the early frost damage is substantial.
                                • Lentils do not tolerate flooding or waterlogged soil.

Let us know how you get on.
                                Tracy Eldred

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X