No dig potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No dig potatoes

I was reading about a completely 'no dig' method of growing potatoes the other day & wondered if anyone had tried it. You lie the seed potatoes on the surface of the soil about 12ins apart, cover with about 6ins of straw, water well, add a general feed like Growmore/blood,fish & bone, cover with a layer of grass clippings & apply more grass clippings as the shoots come through ,watering about once a week. I can't try this method as we don't have a lawn & haven't got the spare land but it is supposed to give a crop of clean, pest free potatoes. Has anyone done this?
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

I was trying a no dig method where I put cardboard on the grass, then lots of manure on the cardboard, then covered with membrane and planted the potatoes through that and finally grass cuttings. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get enough manure and I ended up having to dig the lot in so I could plant my potatoes. I now have some ratehr lumpy ground, with seed pots sort of stuck in, membrane over the top and grass cuttings that keep blowing about in the wind. Not quite what I had in mind
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi SueA
      Can't remember who but I'm fairly certain another grape has posted about this and has tried it - try searching the various potato threads and see if that turns anything up.(like a spud or two )
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

A new couple on our allotment site have mounds of grass cuttings around their potatoes. I will ask them if they are doing the no dig method and see what the results are like.
        [

Comment

I'm tempted to try this myself on a overgrown grass patch on my lottie

Comment

I'm tempted too - we have masses and masses of grass clippings. is it too late to start more spuds now?

Comment

No it's not too late to plant more potatoes but they need to go in as soon as possible.
              [

Comment

We tried this method last year. The spuds were beautifull, plentiful, clean and absolutely riddled with slugs80% of the crop was ruined.

A brilliant idea if you use nematodes I think.

Comment

ah. there's always a drawback!!

Comment

I was told that the straw should deter slugs & that's one of the reasons you put it around strawberries too.Obviously just another garden myth! I would think you'd have to keep watering the grass clippings as well to stop them blowing around or maybe just throw a covering over & pin it down if it was windy.
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X