Sweet peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite fancy some of the lipstick ones, will PM

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison, so far 3 of us. Will see if there's any more interested .
      Food for Free

Comment

Moggsue, I never put them outside. I grow them on a south facing windowsill and just move them back from the window if the sun is very hot when they have flowers on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
          Moggsue, I never put them outside. I grow them on a south facing windowsill and just move them back from the window if the sun is very hot when they have flowers on.

Oh okay, I was rather hoping I could pop them outside in a big container next to the greenhouse - maybe I ought to put them inside it instead.
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            [ATTACH]3744[/ATTACH]
            Mine ripened allright. I plant them very early - Jan, Feb, on the windowsill. This pic was taken in July. i don't know the variety, just seeds saved from a previous year. I had loads of green ones in May. I think the secret is just plant them early.
            Alice what size pots do you use for growing sweet peppers? Is that the standard tomato pots (although I intend to use cut flower bucket)? If I run out of space in my greenhouse, I may also consider standing them by the strong sun lit window.
            Last edited by veg4681; 21-01-2008, 02:44 PM.
            Food for Free

Comment

None of mine were in pots as big as tomato pots Veg4681. The plants didn't get really big but they made plenty of peppers. The first lot were ready in May. I think they were just in a 6" pot.
              Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Lipstick Pepper from Real Seeds

Just to update this thread that we now have 5 people (myself, Kittykat8, Alison, Samw04 and Bramble) interested in sharing an order for this from Real Seeds. This gives us 6 seeds each (can be saved from harvest for future seeds). Are we okay for ordering soon?

Vegetable Seeds : Early Sweet Pepper Seed

Ordering by post is £1.20 (recommended) as online order with card payment requires £8 minimum order. Lipstick seeds are £1.70 for 30 seeds.
                Food for Free

Comment

Me too for Lipstick seeds please? It was partly me that prompted this thread I think, moaning about my pathetic peppers in the chilli thread! It would also be good to compare results between the 6 of us. Hope I'm not too late.
                  Cheers

Comment

For attn of Smallblueplanet

Guess what, I've sowed all the following except for the Pimento coz I'm thinking that's more like chilli . But only sowed one seed/variety per pot, so hope it germinates. So is my description close to what they look like?

Cubanelle (looks like fat chilli e.g. Big Jim)
                    Topepo Rosso (looks like beefsteak tomato)
                    Sweet Apple (looks like heart shaped with pointy bottom)
                    Red Cheese (looks like Dutch Edam cheese)

Which ones are you growing this year?
                    Last edited by veg4681; 22-01-2008, 10:34 AM.
                    Food for Free

Comment

The seed is still fairly fresh and we only normally plant 2 seeds per variety. Pimento is another smallish squat sweet pepper.

Here's a link from Dave's where they were bought from 2 years ago - there's pictures of all the varieties of peppers you've mentioned.

DAVES-SEEDS-AND-PLANTS_Peppers

I have to admit I'm going to do a Dave's order in the next day or so! He's got some lovely flowers, oh and a purple artichoke (violetta de chiogga)

Will probably grow cubanelle, toppepo rosso, apple sweet and jalapeno (in the g/h border) plus others in pots!

edit - out of interest these are they same vendors

P-J-GARDENING
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 22-01-2008, 10:58 AM.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have bought some Tesco finest sweet pointed peppers but the are from spain will this make a difference

marion

Comment

didn't realise we should be sowing peppers just yet - i've got to crack on!
                          i'll be sowing seeds from last years peppers, which in turn were grown from seeds from ordinary sainsburys peppers
                          do the other varieties like the pointy ones taste much different to the more common varieties?
                          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                            didn't realise we should be sowing peppers just yet - i've got to crack on!
                            i'll be sowing seeds from last years peppers, which in turn were grown from seeds from ordinary sainsburys peppers
                            do the other varieties like the pointy ones taste much different to the more common varieties?
                            You've been sleeping, haven't you ? How did your sweet peppers turn out because when you use the supermarket one, more than likely they'd be F1 hybrids. Did yours grow into normal looking peppers? I can't comment on the taste but Piglet swears by it. I like them for their supposed reliabilty, higher cropping hopefully and okay the shape is attractive. 4-5 fruits per plant is not acceptable for me, it's cheaper to buy!
                            Last edited by veg4681; 24-01-2008, 12:10 PM.
                            Food for Free

Comment

Thought I'd add this (for future reference) for this thread.

See below, a fantastic link that usefully distinguishes between the different types of sweet peppers and its findings on the performance against each group (though the trial/report may have been funded for the benefit of commercial/market growers).

Lancaster County Cooperative Extension - Sweet Pepper Variety Trial

Each pepper variety can be viewed with a big picture!

List of who are selling which:

D.T. Brown and Co. Peppers

Sweet Pepper seeds Bell peppers Ornamental and Heirloom

Vegetable Seeds : Early Sweet Pepper Seed
                              Last edited by veg4681; 25-01-2008, 12:36 PM.
                              Food for Free

Comment

Interesting info Ami, well I say I fancy trying Lipstick myself now!

I've also thought about Nardello Sweet before (I think its aka Jimmy Nardello's?). What more seeds......
                                To see a world in a grain of sand
                                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X