pumpkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkins

I am just thinking about what is going to be going where in my patch this year, when to start sowing etc, and like many other people here i have got a little carried away with my seeds & what i want to grow! So as a space saving excercise i was wondering if you can grow Pumpkins & Squash in pots? And how big would the pots have to be - would bucket size be big enough?

I have grown courgettes in pots before which was quite successful but Pumkins & squash are much bigger. The varieties i am going to try this year are Festival squash, Butternut Squash & Pumpkin Wee be Little.

I tried Butternut last year with no success but from what i've read this was mainly due to our awful weather. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Jane,
    keen but (slightly less) clueless
    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

I grew two butternuts in an old wheelbarrow last year. They didn't do fantastically well but as you say, it wasn't a good year. They did better than the ones I had in the ground though!
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

I grew a Butternut Squash in a Potato Sack last year, but once one had been pollinated, i cut the plant back, so everything went into producing one good one. I was very happy with the result, and as you mentioned. It was all down to the weather last year. Hopefully this year will be better.
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Hi Newbie,

I think you should be able to grow them in pots, if I am not mistaken, the Festival squash & Pumpkin Wee be Little are both small type just make sure your pots are not too small. The 40 liters pots should be ok ( though will be better if you could provide a bigger size) and just plant 1 vine/ pot ( not more). As for buternut, it is really depending on which variety it is, try to look for the compact vine like ponca baby or perhaps the waltham butternut, these 2 should be ok to fit in the 40 litres pots too (and only 1 vine per pot too). Don't forget to manure your growing medium as they are heavy feeder.

All the best,
        Momol
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Its worth a go because what will you lose if it doesn't work? However, I'd try and get a bigger container than a bucket. I tried butternut in the ground last year and they grew huge so would need more than that. I'm not familiar with the other varieties. At least you've not gone for Atlantic Giant!
          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vegnut View Post
            I grew a Butternut Squash in a Potato Sack last year, but once one had been pollinated, i cut the plant back, so everything went into producing one good one. I was very happy with the result, and as you mentioned. It was all down to the weather last year.
            Now that's a very interesting strategy of limiting the fruit so that only one has all the best chance of making thru (okay may be an expensive option for all the effort ). Obviously in my case, I may grow few squash varieties and 2 fruits from each plant is more than enough to feed the household without worrying about storage. Furthermore, in other threads I gathered that squash doesn't necessarily store that well (e.g. few months) as this is all dependent on having enough sun to ripen and harden the fruit skin fully. What weather holds for us for 2008?
            Last edited by veg4681; 17-01-2008, 12:11 PM.
            Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
              Now that's a very interesting strategy of limiting the fruit so that only one has all the best chance of making thru (okay may be an expensive option for all the effort ). Obviously in my case, I may grow few squash varieties and 2 fruits from each plant is more than enough to feed the household without worrying about storage. Furthermore, in other threads I gathered that squash doesn't necessarily store that well (e.g. few months) as this is all dependent on having enough sun to ripen and harden the fruit skin fully. What weather holds for us for 2008?
              It was either get one good one or nothing at all. Again due to the weather. The others on the plant just kept rotting off or not getting pollinated well. So chopping it back put all the goodness into one good fruit. Extra runners did form during the course of the summer, but i just removed all flowers, as nothing would come of them.
              End result. One good Squash. In my books, one is better than none.
              "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X