No announcement yet.

Sweet potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew them this year and they all turned out to be small so won't be bothering again .
    ---) CARL (----
    ILFRACOMBE
    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I was thinking about growing them this year and on the back of all the comments, i do not think i will bother now. thanks for the advice guys, I have saved myself some money and have to think of a more productive alternatice.

Comment

I grew them this year too. I actually put a shop bought Sweet Potato in a jar of water and used that to create the "slips". I potted them up and left them to grow on a bit.

I planted them out quite late (June) at the allotment, and so the resulting sweet potatoes were quite small. But I suspect that was more about the late planting than about the ability to grow. So I will be trying again next year but being a little earlier.

And for the price of a Sweet Potato in the shop, not a particularly expensive thing to trial.

Comment

I tried sweet potatoes last year, but I don't think I gave them enough room, or water actually, and as others have said - not great results.

I used organic supermarket potatoes which worked fine (I would get organic though, they are likely to chit more easily)

I've got a new spot in the lottie earmarked for this year and I'll have another bash. We've got the space, so if the summer's good and long (ha!) then who knows?
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Bob Flowerdew said that they are better grown in compost bags as if grown in open soil they are very hard to harvest as the tubers grow a lot deeper that normal spuds and can make harvesting near impossible. I grew them last year in huge trugs in the greenhouse but the harvest was terrible! Lots of tubers but very small like long radishes! Not sure wether to try again this year as they take up a lot of room in the greenhouse!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X