No announcement yet.

Which French Beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never seem to have room for french beans - they're always the last thing to be sown and, well, they rarely find a home. It's daft because they're easy and I like them a lot.

I have loads of seed, though, and will endeavour to get a crop this coming year.

I'm going to try the infamous Purple Teepee (it better be good, chaps!) and some Ferrari (kenyan type, I think). If there's climbing space rather than dwarf space it will be Cobra.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Dwarf/bush beans can be planted right tight together ... 2 inches apart. They will then support each other and hold each other upright.
      I am only growing Canadian Wonder as a dwarf this year, as slugs devastated last year's crop. I am going to major on climbers, as you get more crop for the space (and the slugs don't climb!)
      No, slugs don't climb but snails do! I grew Cosse Violette and Blue Lake last year on cane wigwams. Blue Lake were better, but I kept having to pick snails off and when I dismantled the wigwams at the end of the season the little bu***rs were in a cluster at the top!!

Comment

Yep, my climbing french beans got eaten to shreds a few years ago - you really have to search out the snails if they are a problem in your plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
          Yep, my climbing french beans got eaten to shreds a few years ago - you really have to search out the snails if they are a problem in your plot.
          My slug/snail population is kept down with slug pellets so I don't tend to have problems with high levels of these blighters in my raised bed...so my reason for not being keen on egg shells as they don't exactly kill them off for good.
          Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X