No announcement yet.

Christmas veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a bucket of carrots and 9 parsnips left, the leaves are dying back on my parsnips so do I pick them or will they be OK.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm planning my christmas boxes and hope that they will contain potatoes, carrots, onions,and then a selectionof veg from the following options; leeks, black kale, sprouts, cabbage, swede, PSB - other possibles include chard, beetroot, winter lettuce, rocket and radicchio.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Your parsnips will be ok Bren - they keep very well in the ground, even if the leaves fall by the wayside. Don't forget to mark the ends of your rows so you know where to dig them up!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for the info Flummery

Comment

Whoops - just realised they are in pots! No need to mark the row, I guess! Wake up Flum!

Comment

Flummery I'm growing them in one of those big yellow tubs that builders have mortar delivered in so I might mark the parsnips that are left with little piles of sand it'll save me searching for them.
              I've been really impressed with my first parsnips planted 40 seeds in loo rolls and ended up with 39 plants.

Comment

I'll have my own onions and garlic (use a lot of those over the hols), some frozen summer brocolli, and hopefully 7 baby carrots. I have no idea how they are doing under the earth, but leaving them there for another few weeks won't do them any harm I reckon (there's not an awful lot of leaf growth). There may still be a few peas on their vine too - there were plenty more pods for gattening on Monday, but the weather may get them in the next few weeks. And I'll probably have to start thinning out the cabbages too, so I can add that to the mix as well.

Next year - I have big plans, including brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, and a lot more frozen offerings!! Doubt if I'll get enough spuds to last that long though.

Comment

planted 40 seeds in loo rolls and ended up with 39 plants.
                  Wow! That sounds like a record! Parsnips are notoriously bad germinators.

What's your secret Bren?

Comment

Newbie luck

Comment

Got myself some spring onions still in the ground, sprouts small but edible, some spinich and letuce under glass. hum...have to go to my recipe book to see what I can do ith them.
                      Since I started growing my own veg for the 1st time this year, I wasn't a keen cook. But I found that I started to take an interest in cooking now that I can sow,gow, and pick my own veg . Has ayone else found this?

Comment

I was always an enthusiastic ccok (and eater!) and wanted decent ingredients, hence GYO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                          Wow! That sounds like a record! Parsnips are notoriously bad germinators.
                          Ive got two good rows in the ground outside at the moment, all germinated. Problem is the wind has blackened the tops, I assume that doesn't affect the parsnip underneath ?
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

possibilitty of leeks , turnips , swede and spring cabbage for xmas , but no carrots or potatoes as they where eaten long ago.
                            ---) CARL (----
                            ILFRACOMBE
                            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                              Hi and welcome to the vine Axe. When did you plant your spuds?
                              about two-three weeks ago moved a box in the shed
                              and found three seed potatoes sprouting away so i planted
                              them
                              ps thanks for the welcome from every one
                              Last edited by axe70; 29-11-2007, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Parsnips in loo roll? That sounds interesting, how do you do that?
                                I don't have anything for this years x mas but maybe next year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X