No announcement yet.

Winter Squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we grow carnval squash this year very nice and still have 2 in the back yard storing well
    going to grow more next year we roast them
    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
    Dobby

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby View Post
      we grow carnval squash this year very nice and still have 2 in the back yard storing well
      going to grow more next year we roast them
      Thanks Dobby. Was it easy to grow and the harvest, roughly how many squashes did you get per plant? I know some of you got the seeds free but I thought I heard somewhere that not many had success with the harvest so were you one of the lucky few?

Also isn't carnival squash a smaller sized variety and similar looking with Sweet Dumpling, Harlequin, Celebration, Festival etc with that lovely stripey pattern on them. I wonder if all these more or less taste the same.
      Food for Free

Comment

Hi veg4681
        yes it was a bad year for squash and pumpking,
        we only got 4 per plant very easy to grow we starte them of in pots like the pumpkin
        then transferd them to the plot, they are small green and are heart shaped in cross section ?? hard to explain I am drying the seeds for next year
        the butter nut we got nothing out of 5 plants
        Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
        Dobby

Comment

I could go into boast mode and tell you about my wonderful Butternut squash but would instead mention that I started a thread earlier in the year to try to find out what type were sold in sainsbury's.
          Didn't find out but there were a number of leads.
          I will look at the recommended varieties and your seedsman Veggi

Phreddy

Comment

I grew Anna Swartz Hubbard and Galeuse d'Eysines last year, both from seed from Realseeds.co.uk

I really liked Galeuse d'Eysines, very tasty smooth texture with no hint of bitterness with the only downside being it does not store too well. But it makes great soup for the freezer

Anna Swartz was OK, but a little bitter - perhaps I picked it too early

Had 100% success on germination for both, planting in pots inside and then transplanting at the three leaf stage

VF

Comment

Originally posted by Phreddy View Post
              I started a thread earlier in the year to try to find out what type were sold in sainsbury's. Didn't find out but there were a number of leads.
              I will look at the recommended varieties and your seedsman Veggi
              Phreddy
              So far the best site I've seen with the widest choice of squashes (with pictures) is a German one Samen von Uncle Bob - Bobby-Seeds Onlineshop, thanks to Momol. They do a good selection of smaller sized butternut.

Originally posted by Vegetarian Fox View Post
              I grew Anna Swartz Hubbard and Galeuse d'Eysines last year, both from seed from Realseeds.co.uk

I really liked Galeuse d'Eysines, very tasty smooth texture with no hint of bitterness with the only downside being it does not store too well. But it makes great soup for the freezer

Anna Swartz was OK, but a little bitter - perhaps I picked it too early
              VF
              Thanks VF for the info, any info is useful as some of us squash fans are trying to work out which are the ones worth growing.

Real Seeds no longer sells Galeuse d'Eysines, maybe dropped due to poor storage quality.
              Last edited by veg4681; 07-12-2007, 05:27 PM.
              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X