Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUOTE=Snadger
    Hi Protea

To further complicate the situation, what or who dictate that a variety is a Heritage variety I don't know! and will a modern variety eventually become a heritage variety? Probably!I always thought that any variety that wasn't an F1 or F2 etc and was open pollinated, and came true from seed was a Heritage variety? No: not all OP varieties are heritage varieties
    If a heritage or modern variety is grown organically for seed, without inorganic fertilisers,weedkilllers and fungiscides will this not make it a stronger variety, easier to be grown organically in the future? Possibly, but only if you were to at the same time select only the best, strongest plants, which in reality when you are multiplying seed commercially isn't going to happen - it needs to be uniform, unless you are breeding new varieties of course! Organic seed will naturally be more expensive than inorganic seed because of the extra work involved in hand weeding, applying muck and generally more 'hands on' attention, but I would have thought the quality would have been superior? i've attached a picture of a field of seed crops - its quite large and in somewhere like Italy - i doubt they hand weed it
    Hmmmm......Interesting! Indeed!
    Attached Files
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
      QUOTE=Snadger
      Hi Protea

To further complicate the situation, what or who dictate that a variety is a Heritage variety I don't know! and will a modern variety eventually become a heritage variety? Probably!I always thought that any variety that wasn't an F1 or F2 etc and was open pollinated, and came true from seed was a Heritage variety? No: not all OP varieties are heritage varieties
      If a heritage or modern variety is grown organically for seed, without inorganic fertilisers,weedkilllers and fungiscides will this not make it a stronger variety, easier to be grown organically in the future? Possibly, but only if you were to at the same time select only the best, strongest plants, which in reality when you are multiplying seed commercially isn't going to happen - it needs to be uniform, unless you are breeding new varieties of course! Organic seed will naturally be more expensive than inorganic seed because of the extra work involved in hand weeding, applying muck and generally more 'hands on' attention, but I would have thought the quality would have been superior? i've attached a picture of a field of seed crops - its quite large and in somewhere like Italy - i doubt they hand weed it
      Hmmmm......Interesting! Indeed!
      Ahhh! But is it field of organically grown seed? If I personally had to organically grow seed I would leave areas in between rows to allow for hand weeding or using a hoe! (more reasons for expensive organic seed) I know it's feasible because I used to earn a few bob as a kid hoeing and thinning swedes for a local farmer! Anyway, if it is an organic seed crop, how else could they organically weed it?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There are many ways to weed organically - hand weeding, hoeing, brush weeders, inter row weeders, scarifiers etc. Up here the carrot boys use flat bed weeders, whereby a tractor, moving in super slow crawler gear, pulls a large flat frame behind it. Upon this frame are between ten and fifteen people, lying on their bellies, hand weeding the crop as they pass over it - can't think of a worse job in the cold and rain !!
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X