Overwinter chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to above post, cos i just had to share

the two plants i mentioned that i nearly killed?

well i have SIX new chillies on one of them, all that blossom has produced in december!!! not sure if they will ripen of course, they are very pale yellow ( these are orange chillies) but i am seriously amazed.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

If they are warm they will ripen in all probability BrideXIII. I've had some in the house in February.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

well i am hoping so.

new plan for next year, i have so many self saved seeds, and donations from lovely people on here, that I am going for less plants more varieties, and i am going to keep them all indoors, i have the room, and less chance of ants, will put them outside in the summer if we have a hot one though, but mainly nurture them indoors from early on.

most of mine have done extremely well indoors this year.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
          the two plants i mentioned that i nearly killed?

well i have SIX new chillies on one of them.
          that's great, because of the two plants I brought indoors, both got covered in greenfly and one plant died. The other plant was going great guns, but now the leaves have gone brown and fallen off. The flowers have gone brown too and just look miserable.
          I won't compost it yet, but it looks like a goner
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The turning brown is probably a result of not enough light Two Sheds. I leave mine in a south facing window with no curtains and then from late November to early February I suspend a long tube light above them for 10-12 hours a day on dark days. I assume that that would annoy the greenfly as well if they can't sleep?

>

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              that's great, because of the two plants I brought indoors, both got covered in greenfly and one plant died. The other plant was going great guns, but now the leaves have gone brown and fallen off. The flowers have gone brown too and just look miserable.
              I won't compost it yet, but it looks like a goner
              one of my greenhouse ones has gone over too, had mould, so i binned it, the other 3 out there are still ok though, dying back, but still green.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Just to bump this thread back to the top, if I try to overwinter chillis, they end up covered in tiny beasties that look as if ash has been thrown over the plant. I think it is Peach Potato Aphid. After a major clean up, new plants and pots and now soil, by November, they're back. Anyone else get this problem? Can the plants be repotted and defoliated in winter to go dormant until the summer, or is that a daft idea.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

i have a small sweet south african chilli that I am overwintering as an experiment, I have stripped all the leaves off and cut back the two stems to about six inches, will keep them frost free and see if they come good again in the spring, just need to remember to water sparingly very so often.

last years chillis really suffered on the window sill with aphids no matter how many times I tried to get rid of them, must just be like a holiday camp for them.
                  Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                  Bob Dylan

Comment

from Southdevon Chilli Farm - Growing Seeds & Plants
                    Most chilli plants can be treated as perennial house plants, but will need some pruning in the winter.
                    Some varieties are better suited than others, smaller hot varieties like Serrano and Twilight, and Prairie Fire do better than the bigger fleshy plants such as Poblano and Anaheim.

Comment

Of my four plants over wintering on window sills (one each, jalepeno, twilight, cayenne and purple tiger), the jalepeno seems to be the worst affected by aphids. The Purple tiger which sits next to it on the dining room window sill seems relatively untouched - in fact I don't recall having seen any aphids on it - whereas the jalepeno seems to constantly be covered in the blighters. I only cleaned them off the day before yesterday (using the squishing by hand method), yet LadyWayne just called and she said it's got loads on it again!

The Twilight in the lounge seems ok, and the cayenne next to it seems to get a few aphids, but not as many.

I'd rather predatory wasps or ladybirds weren't flying about the house whilst Bean's there, but what else can I try? Carnivorous plants perhaps?
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

no aphids here, could be cos the kitchen windowsill is sunny but cold ?
                        Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                          I'd rather predatory wasps or ladybirds weren't flying about the house whilst Bean's there, but what else can I try? Carnivorous plants perhaps?
                          Don't try insectivorous plants for getting rid of them. Most insectivores actually have a smell (not noticeable to humans) to attract them. And if the plant can't keep up (and they are very slow digesting) you will end up with even more.

>

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                            the jalepeno seems to be the worst affected by aphids. .. constantly be covered in the blighters.
                            My cayenne was totally infested. I tried soapy water (which killed the leaves) and squishing. Still there were 1000s of greenfly.
                            I ended up pulling off all the leaves, in desperation. The greenfly are now under control (ie mostly dead) and the chilli has new leaves sprouting

Comment

I currently have:

- last years jalepeno and fresnoi plants doing really well on the kitchen window ledge above a radiator....they even flowered the other day (didnt set tho)....nothing done to them just brought in from patio.

- A cutting from the jalepeno plant - well a snapped branch - doing very well in same spot.

- small prairie plant not doing great - transplanted at wrong time hopefully will recover in spring - same spot

- Dorset Naga seedlings doing well, slowly - experiment to see how they go on - same spot

all in all im pleased and fingers crossed they'll last!
                              (plans are a foot for this seasons produce!!)
                              Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
                              Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
                              Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

My pretty in purples and orozcos on the unheated spare room windowsill looking fine, but the friar's hat and big jim in the same place losing their leaves.

The purple tigers in the conservatory looking fine, but the jalapenos out there have started to flop their leaves. it has got pretty cold out there this week though. Must move some jalapenos into the spare room...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X