Good tip for protecting sweetcorn cobs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tip for protecting sweetcorn cobs

This might be old news but I hadn't seen it before. My friend's Mum has had great success keeping predators off her sweetcorn with old drinks bottles:

http://aconfusedgranniespatch.blogsp...-away-now.html

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

this is a fantastic idea! But won't it get a bit humid in there for them?

Comment

Hmmm, sweetcorn cobs are usually pretty well protected by the sheaths - obviously won't stop human predators, but then neither will plastic bottles. I've seen bottles used to protect ripening strawberries, and whilst they do keep the birds off, a lot of the fruit seem to succumb to rots and moulds because of the close damp atmosphere.

Comment

Not sure about rot, but I can't see them protecting corn from Badgers. They have eaten most of mine this year , waiting till it is just ready I dont think you could put them on too early or they would stop pollination?...I do use them as cloches when I plant.... but I think its the electric fence next year.

Comment

I've just found this old post about keeping four legged thieves off sweetcorn cobs with empty lemonade bottles.
          On our allotment site the squirrels nibble most of the kernels without even bothering to pick the cobs. I had totally given up the idea of fresh corncobs but after finding this idea I'll be digging out the old packet to see what the sow by date is. Hooray!

Comment

Rats will take cobs, I'm not sure squirrels do: have you seen them at it?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am pretty certain I can blame the very successful mother squirrel who nests in the tree at the end of my plot. She carries her food to a big log I use as a seat, and she sits up there having a picnic and keeping an eye on her larder. I've seen her do this with other foods, and have also seen the scattered debris including corn scraps.

Wouldn't the bottles work even if it is rats? (non tree rats that is!)

Comment

I wouldn't use the bottles myself because my main pests are earwigs & slugs/snails: a bottle creates a perfect hotel for them. It could well work for someone else though, give it a go
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TwoSheds - I think I'll start saving those pop bottles.
                  Perhaps if I remember i'll post how it went later.

Comment

Originally posted by ConfusedRhubarb View Post
                    Thanks TwoSheds - I think I'll start saving those pop bottles.
                    Perhaps if I remember i'll post how it went later.
                    So how did it go. I had a beautiful crop coming along nicely last year, best on the plot I reckon, and those pesky squirrels came along and ate the lot! 40 odd cobs!!

I can't believe I used to feed those little scamps nuts when I was little.

Comment

The ants have taken over a few cobs here, but I'm hoping that if we let them have those few, they'll leave the rest alone. Now I just need a freezer so I can pick them and freeze them.
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Hmmm may have to try that, we cant grow sweetcorn on our lottie cause of the rats ...... and i mean proper farm rats not little town rats , i have memories of chasing one with a spade when it as eating my beetroot bloody things

Comment

Don't see how this will work with rats, they climb up the stem and their weight makes the stem break off, they then devour the cobs, removing a plastic bottle is just a minor inconvenience for a large rat.
                          I had success last year by providing an alternative "food" for them.
                          I mixed plaster of paris with porridge oats ( uncooked) and made a line of it around my corn patch, I repeated the process for several nights until no more of the oats were eaten, no more rats, good crop of corn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X