No announcement yet.

Pea growing guide needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t have any problem with pests apart from the odd one I lose to mice. This year they got a few of the sweet peas I had started in the greenhouse. This was last years peas. Tasted fab so have a go.

Comment

I have just planted out my pea seedlings but I am not sure how they will do. They were pot bound and difficult to separate, some I almost washed the compost away to get them apart. The support isn't brilliant either as I only had some canes and have tried to tie them together with string about 1 foot from the soil to give the peas something to cling to when they get that high. Should it be lower?

I have decided every seedling deserves a chance so I will see how they are in the morning. They were looking very sad and floppy. Hope they perk up.

If I fail it won't be due to the lack of advice I was given on growing peas. Thank you all.

Comment

I do put a strand of string roughly 6 inches off the ground as well to give them a start. Then add more as they grow. Their main requirement this weather, particularly if the roots have been disturbed is water.

Comment

I watered in after planting and again this evening plus I put down slug pellets just in case they like to eat pea seedlings. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Careful hedgehogs can’t reach the pellets they’re toxic. Have you tied them all together in a bunch onto the cane? The peas can’t climb the canes like beans wind around,they have little tendrils that will grab netting or a piece of string that’s tied around the canes,or you could keep tying them when they get taller,what peas are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
              I do put a strand of string roughly 6 inches off the ground as well to give them a start. Then add more as they grow. Their main requirement this weather, particularly if the roots have been disturbed is water.
              Lower string put in place and watering every day. They have perked up. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                Careful hedgehogs can’t reach the pellets they’re toxic. Have you tied them all together in a bunch onto the cane? The peas can’t climb the canes like beans wind around,they have little tendrils that will grab netting or a piece of string that’s tied around the canes,or you could keep tying them when they get taller,what peas are they?
                I have spaced the slug pellets 4 - 6 inches apart as recommended. I will fix more rows of string as they get taller, hope they don't get too tall. I have Hurst Greenshaft and Blauwschokker from fellow grapeviners for me to experiement with during lockdown. I will wait to see how much of a crop I get from them.

Comment

Blauwschokker sound pretty purple pods,it says 1-1.5 meters tall when I googled them,I’ve only grown dwarf peas. Netting would be easier for you,if you had a small piece to tie onto the canes?
                  Last edited by Jungle Jane; 31-05-2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X