Sundried Tomato Seeds Experiment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundried Tomato Seeds Experiment

I’m growing quite a few tomatoes this year, mostly from the wonderful Seed Circle and a few ancient ones I forgot I had. I wanted some that might be suitable for drying so as a punt, I also scraped out a few seeds from a bought sun dried tomato and to my surprise they seem to be germinating. No idea what they’ll be like, so will post a pic if they work out. Has anyone else tried seeds from a dried tomato?
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

No.

Was it just a dried tom or one in oil? If in oil, that seems more surprising.

Comment

I like the idea of this - I'll be curious to see what you get!

Comment

Is San Marzano not the main tomato used for sun drying? Interesting experiment MD!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          No.

Was it just a dried tom or one in oil? If in oil, that seems more surprising.
          Just a dried one, no oil, but the seeds weren’t bone dry. I rinsed any fruit gunk off them before chatting on damp kitchen roll.
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Trying to edit previous post as it should say ‘chitting’ not chatting...but everything ground to a halt again .

Snadger, you could be right about San Marzano. Will see what they do. I had some Principe Borghese seed that are supposed to be drying toms but they didn’t germinate as v old.
            Last edited by muckdiva; 27-04-2020, 10:07 PM.
            And time just slips away
            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I tried drying some San Marzano last year and had a dismal failure. But I guess that a bit of sunshine would have been useful.
              Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X