When should potato leaves appear?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should potato leaves appear?

I planted my spuds a bit early, the weekend before lockdown as I wasn’t sure if I’d be allowed to plant them any later.
    However, I’m a bit concerned that the leaves haven’t appeared above ground yet.
    Am I being impatient? Or do I need to replant/put some drying beans instead?

I planted mine less than two weeks ago (not terribly deep) and the leaves came through within a week.

Comment

How deep are they planted,the cold nights could’ve slowed growth?

Comment

Planted mine on 5th April, they are about 1-2cm's now, didn't plant them very deep
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Mine are about three quarters of a spade depth under ground, now 5 weeks ago

Comment

Do you really want them to be above ground when we could still get frosts?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some can be slower than others. I planted my earlies about 5 weeks ago, and four of them aren't up yet, bu when I carefully dug down, I found shoots about 3 inches below the surface, so they are still alive, just rather slow.

Comment

Time for them to come through has so many variables. How big sprouts if any at time of planting, how deep they were planted, type and fertility of soil, weather/temperature. Bottom line, it all depends on the variables

Comment

Mine were planted about 6" deep to bottom of planting hole. They took exactly 4 weeks for the first ones to break surface.

Comment

On a related potato note, how high should you “hill” potatoes?
                    Our DIY and sustainability journey: My Home Farm

Comment

I probably earth up about 6-8 inches. Alternatively I've also in the past used newspaper in between rows wetted down and then covered in grass clippings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X