Anyone else using a wheel hoe?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else using a wheel hoe?

Late last year I stumbled upon someone selling an old "Jalo" wheel hoe with plough blade for the princely sum of a fiver. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to have it. I sanded the rust off the plough blade and oiled up the wheel and put it in the shed.

Earlier this week, I thought I'd give it a try on the brassica beds I was preparing. I only wanted to break up the top 3 inches or so to allow for easier planting out, leaving the soil deeper down fairly compacted, as I believe brassicas generally like a firm bed.

What a revelation! What would have taken me an hour with the fork took no more than 10 minutes with the wheel hoe.

Today, it (and I) got some more exercise. My neighbour, who owns the land I grow on, has a couple of broken ribs and his potatoes have been waiting for them to mend. He was going to start planting them using a bulb planter this morning, which I could see was going to be a world of pain for him. So, I suggested I'd have a go at making him some furrows with the wheel hoe plough. Half an hour of fairly hard work, whilst observing social distancing, of course, resulted in enough furrows for him to plant several kilos of seed potatoes and numerous Brownie points for me.

I'm going to keep an eye out for some of the other attachments, weeders, cultivators, etc, but not going to be paying the silly prices on Ebay, for sure.

Still having difficulty with uploading photos.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bonjour; 09-04-2020, 12:03 PM.

Hello Bonjour

Sounds good although I can't see the photo properly, as you have stated you are having photos problems.

What this thread has done is remind me of the christmas present one of my sons got me, I'm going to give it a go later today, image attached
    Attached Files
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
      Hello Bonjour

Sounds good although I can't see the photo properly, as you have stated you are having photos problems.

What this thread has done is remind me of the christmas present one of my sons got me, I'm going to give it a go later today, image attached
      Hi Danny,

Yes, picture uploading doesn't seem to work unless the picture is so tiny as to be pointless and then it only loaded one of the 3 I tried to upload. It's probably down to my own incompetence.

That's one of those Wolf Garten soil crumbler thingies, isn't it?Looks like it could be useful if you have cloddy soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
        Hi Danny,

Yes, picture uploading doesn't seem to work unless the picture is so tiny as to be pointless and then it only loaded one of the 3 I tried to upload. It's probably down to my own incompetence.

That's one of those Wolf Garten soil crumbler thingies, isn't it?Looks like it could be useful if you have cloddy soil.
        I love your description of the "thingy" I haven't used it yet but will give it a go on the section in the 2nd photo below. The first photo was before I took the grub hoe to it....
        Attached Files
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Well my "thingy" was about as useful as a chocolate teapot
          Cheers

Danny

Comment

The Jalo is a tremendous tool. My plot neighbour has one. Mine is a Planet Jr twin wheeled version. It's the way the wheel(s) take the weight and all the user has to do is push. At a fiver, yours was an absolute steal.

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
              Well my "thingy" was about as useful as a chocolate teapot
              That's a bummer. It looked like it would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                The Jalo is a tremendous tool. My plot neighbour has one. Mine is a Planet Jr twin wheeled version. It's the way the wheel(s) take the weight and all the user has to do is push. At a fiver, yours was an absolute steal.
                Yes, I was amazed how efficient it is. I'm sure I'll find lots of uses for it.

I looked on Ebay and was shocked to see the same thing offered for £100 or more. Even the attachments are 30 or 40 quid a go. I gather that they are completely interchangeable with the Planet Junior. If I can't find any cheap ones I might have a go at making some.

Comment

I have a jalo,with some bits to it,it was my uncles,i used to love it for sciming of the weeds before planting,and up between some wider rows,i use it the odd time still,its good at loosening up the top few inch's,i find it hard work these days on the old shoulders,it has the blade things for hoeing,a furrow and 3 bits i think cultivators ,are somewhere in the garage,and no,i would not part with them.
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Fascinating, I just set the ground pin on my rotovator at a high point and drive it down the drill just scratching the top inch or so.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                      I have a jalo,with some bits to it,it was my uncles,i used to love it for sciming of the weeds before planting,and up between some wider rows,i use it the odd time still,its good at loosening up the top few inch's,i find it hard work these days on the old shoulders,it has the blade things for hoeing,a furrow and 3 bits i think cultivators ,are somewhere in the garage,and no,i would not part with them.
                      I don't blame you for not parting with them. Apart from their usefulness, they have family history to them. If you have younger, fitter family members who take to growing, you can pass them on.

I'm fairly handy and have access to a welder, so I'll probably have a go at making some DIY versions. They are pretty simple items so it won't be rocket science to make something that will work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X