Asparagus is through

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
    Woohoo, after my rant on here the asparagus must have felt ashamed. Up to the plot earlier today and there were 2 nice spears. Picked them both and then spotted a few more just breaking the surface. Brought them home and number 1 daughter and I ate them raw

Thanks QW for shaming the asparagus!
    Once the tips see the sun you have to stand back or they will sock you under the chin
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

First picking today and more on the way.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

My newly planted asparagus is coming up already. Only planted it a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
          First 4 spears showing through last week over here in tropical Suffolk. I've got five 15 foot rows and must have more than 30 plants, but it's always the same old faithful crown that pokes through first. Wonder why that is. It's in the corner of the bed with paths on two sides, maybe it's getting warmth from the paths, but why not the other 3 corners. Weird!

Incidentally, I found pics from last year and my first spears in 2019 showed through on 16th March, so they are nearly 4 weeks later this year
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Ive got 10 spears 5'' long , third year after planting.
            Hopefully more to come .
            Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

What do you do about the beetles when they arrive?
              Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                Squish them between thumb and finger, you have to be quick though because they see you coming and drop to the ground.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Lunchtime snack today. Asparagus fresh from the plot cooked in olive oil and sea salt

Click image for larger version

Name:	Asparagus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	2387008
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                    They're funny little things, they go round the back of the plant to try and hide!
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I’ll be picking my first spears in a day or two... will make a nice change from sprouting broccoli!
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Can anyone advise me please. I planted several crowns a couple of years back. Most came through. I replaced those that didn’t with new ones about 6 weeks ago. My others have come through and are very healthy, but no sign of new ones. Is it too early for my new ones to be showing yet? Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X