Me again... favourite runnerbeans seeds and salads

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Just grow as normal beans and let them dry until the pods go dry and crispy. If the Autumn is a wet one you need to pull the plants and dry in the GH or shed.
    I imagined they would stop producing if you didn't pick them, like sweet peas.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
      I imagined they would stop producing if you didn't pick them, like sweet peas.
      You'd be surprised.
      I grew Enorma for beans last year, and they kept flowing for about 2 months before giving up and concentrating on just the existing pods.
      Between those, the Spagna Bianco runner beans, and some french beans I grew for dry beans, I had 5kg of dried beans by November. The 20 Enorma plants produced well over half of that.
      And considering 120g of dry beans is enough, once hydrated and cooked, to produce one tin's worth of beans, that's a lot of beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
        I love all beans, but runners are my least favourite, as tbh, they're not very 'beany'. How do you grow yours to get beans Sariss?
        I don't pick them at all until they're all bone dry Babru - by then the beans are dry inside too, and I take them all home and pod them all in one go. I still have some in the cupboard. i might go wild and sow loads of them of various varieties together on the plot lol
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grow a lot of beans, both Climbing French and runners. Moonlight and Firestorm are both good runner varieties, or Spagna Bianca if you like dried beans that are rather like butter beans. We eat fresh and freeze a lot of the french beans. The runners we eat a few fresh but mostly grow them for dried beans. Fresh green runners are a good ingredient in picallili with gherkins, cauli and onions.

Salads? We like the iceberg type lettuces and Little Gem but also Salad bowl green and red for cut and come again.
          Last edited by Bonjour; 31-03-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X